“Good Food, what there was of it.”
Review of China One Buffet

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
China One Buffet
Ranked #157 of 581 Restaurants in Des Moines
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Reviewed 26 March 2017

China One is the rebirth of a Chinese Buffet in the old Ming Dynasty Buffet building on SW 9th. Little improvement in the previous decor is apparent but it was clean and that's what counts. Saturday may not be a good time to go here. The staff was on their meal break so service was a little slow. We were seated and our beverage order was taken. Then we headed to the buffet tables, first stop soup. There was barely enough Hot and Sour Soup for one bowl but that's okay as there was only one soup bowl there. Egg drop soup would have been another option but there was very little of it, too. I mentioned this to our server but no additional hot and sour soup appeared nor did additional bowls during the half hour we were there. The appetizers were very good. The egg rolls, spring rolls, and crab rangoons were delicious. However the rangoons soon ran out and it was a long time before they were replenished. The salad bar had the usual offerings including peel & eat Shrimp and sushi. The available entrees included Mongolian Beef, Pineapple Chicken, Hibachi Chicken, Chicken and Broccoli, Sweet and Sour Chicken, Jalapeno Chicken, Coconut Shrimp, butter seafood mix, green beans, and baked Salmon. Mei Fun, Fried Rice, and steamed rice were also available as was a small amount of Lo Mein. I was able to top off my meal with fried plantains and apple pie squares with ice cream. There were also a chocolate fountain, almond cookies, several kinds of cake squares, and toppings to put on the soft serve ice cream. We paid the full price of $10.50 per person but got only about $7.50 worth of buffet. But since my tea was hot I won't complain about the charge for it. Will we go back? If we are in the area we may but not mid afternoon on a Saturday.

Reviewed 27 November 2016 via mobile

I like how we can all have something different. My kids are picky eaters. And the food is always hot and fresh.