“Such a disappointment. ”

Wings Hill Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Rome
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

We usually check Trip advisor-- wish we
had before heading here for an
overpriced dinner.

First issue- they had our reservations down for
the wrong night. They did remedy that, and they sat us at a lovely table after about twenty
minutes.

Next issue- the 3 course fixed price advertised on the website does not exist. Our lovely waitress said by ordering ala' carte it would be about the same. Untrue. With $36 entrees, there was no way one could order three courses and stay in the same price range.

Issue 3- the haddock chowder, a hefty $10, had nary a chunk of haddock in a thin broth.

The entrees were good, but as one member of our group stated, for that price, they should
have been exceptional. The hangar steak entree was only adequate but the cod very good. Those who had dessert were happy with their choices, but out of principle, my husband and I passed as it would have added another $20 to an already steep bill.

Sorry, but our opinion is that this restaurant is a disappointment. We would not return, which is a
shame, because we spend our summers every year in Belgrade.

2  Thank MegP200

Reviewed 17 June 2015

If you are in the Belgrade Lakes region in Maine, and fancy a fine dinning experience - there is one at Wings Hill Inn and Restaurant. We have been eating there regularly for several years and have found the meals consistently creative and delicious. It's pricey but worth it. It's also prix fixe with sufficient options (including vegetarian). Bring your own wine. When appropriate, you can eat on the porch and take in the lawn and view. This summer there is acoustic guitar out on the lawn, appropriately soft so it doesn't intrude on dinner conversation. Most recently the chowder was delicious and the mousse was particularly light.

Reviewed 24 September 2014

Over priced...average food. Expected more for the money. Portions small. Good location but hot inside.

Reviewed 6 September 2014

We made reservation here to celebrate our daughters 16th birthday. There were 7 of us. We should have read their web site a bit more closely as we were planning on the three course format at $45 each person. But when we got there that option was not available to us so we had to go with $65 per person. Also gratuity is mandatory at 18% which we always pay and sometime more if the services is that good. Our server was very good and we would have been happy to give her 20% but when we got the bill the total was $575.00 no drinks just for food. To top it off bad food. All of the portion sizes are very small keeping in mind that each plate is right around $13 per serving. I usually take photos and this time I did not. I wish that I would have. The salads were average, something you would get at any chain restaurant, but just in a very small portion. The soups were average and again in a rather small bowl, but the worst were the entrees they were awful. The men asked for the Hanger Steaks medium/well and go them raw, so raw they were purple. My Cornish Game Hen was also raw and the vegetables cold. But my daughters was ok not as much on the raw side as mine. Our server came to collect our plates and she notices how raw my hen was and said O i'm sorry I will make that right, I told her I did not need another one (everyone else was done eating) so I thought she might take it off the bill. No it was not taken off. The desserts were good that was about the only thing good that any of us had. It might have been an off night for the chef, that's all I can think of. But wow $575 dollars later we left with a very bad taste about this place. Unfortunately we will not be back. We had high hopes and it was a very special night for our only daughter turning 16. We'll have to make it up to her. I was sick all night with intestinal distress. After talking with everyone from our party come to find out 4 of us all had been sick. After encouragement from our party to call the owner and let him know that 4 people for 2 different households I did so. I spoke directly to the chef/owner. His first response was defensiveness and then proceeded to tell me yes he looked at the hen that was brought back to the kitchen and there was nothing wrong with it. That is how they are suppose to look. Then he went on to defend the raw steaks and said No they were medium. And that we really didn't get sick from his kitchen and that we should go to the hospital to get checked out because he's sure it wasn't from his restaurant. I'm not sure what world this chef is living in but he must know that people have dinners that actually have good dining experience and know what good food is. My husband and I spend a lot of time traveling to B&B's just to have amazing food that chefs own their own places. My senior contributing star on Tripadvisor shows this. We are not stupid uneducated people. I have never ever had to call a restaurant to tell them that we got sick and that the protein they served was raw, so It was very awkward for me to do this. But the response I got back from him was also one I did not expect. Any good business person knows this is not the way to behave if you're interested in doing good business. What he should have said is I am so sorry, please let me make it up to you. Please let me show you that we can do better and that is not who we are. When our group first arrived he was coming out from the woods? and looked at us and said Yes I'm coming from out of the woods sarcastic like. Not hello welcome to Wings Hill Inn, then proceeded to go straight to the kitchen. This was our first time at this establishment we had no idea where we were suppose to go, they did not have anyone greeting. So I finally was able to ask him, where do we go, this is our first time. He said O just sit right here and they will be out for you when it's time. I just don't think he really cares anymore. Bottom line, we do not mind spending that kind of money when the food is good. But this experience has made us feel like we had gotten taken and it's not a good feeling at all. I have read that the first serving at 6:00 might be a better risk.

4  Thank Jody D
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We ate at the Wings Hill Inn on our visit with dear friends while at the "pond". The food was excellent, especially the pan seared pork entre. The entire meal was a pleasure.

What separates the Wings Hill Inn from other establishments is the gracious attitude of the hosts and service staff. We have seldom had such a wonderful experience both in food quality and feeling sincerely welcomed and accomadated.