“Got what I paid for....Never again”

AmericInn Coralville
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
Ankeny, Iowa
“Got what I paid for....Never again”
Reviewed 12 October 2011

In my travels I try not to spend too much for a room in order to keep my travel costs down for the company. I saw the very low advanced price ($80 total) and the decent rating so decided to try this property out. Huge mistake!! I went with the larger king room with a kitchenette and non smoking. First of all the room had been smoked in and there was a stain on the bed spread. Next, why have a kitchenette with no kitchen utensils whatsoever. Even though I was not going to use the kitchenette it’s the principle of the amenity being available.

I do think the hotel was going through some renovations but they could at least to put forth some effort to have the hallways somewhat clean.

Note to self...don't lock in a rate and spend a little more to stay at place that have yet to let me down.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Holland, Ohio
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We booked a King smoking room for 9/9/11 while travelling through Iowa. The advance, non-refundable rate was $80.60 including tax, and included a hot continental breakfast. The property is well located just off I-80 with lots of shopping/dining options nearby. Only complaint we had was the thin, scratchy towels, both in the room & in the pool area. Would stay here again based on rate & location.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed 17 August 2011

The service was great. Everyone was very pleasant, my room was clean and ready for
me on arrival. Price was good as well.
I will stay there again on my return trip. Recommend this place highly.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank gai01983
College Station, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My wife and I stayed here with our two-year old for a wedding. We didn't spend too much time in the room. The room was average quality. Not great, but you didn't feel like you had to wear socks when you walked on the carpet. The room was VERY quiet though (I think they use some sort of special noise-dampening insulation). Staff was professional, but not particularly friendly. Our biggest grip was the quality of the continental breakfast (although maybe we shouldn't complain as it was "free"). The breakfast was comprised of every type of bread product your could desire - waffles, biscuits, tarts, toast, doughnuts, etc., but nothing else. No eggs, no bacon, no sausage. It was a little strange. We used to live in the area and stayed here as it was close to the wedding, near our old neighborhood, and the hotel had a special going on. If at least two of the three aren't true for you, I'd probably check out another option.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Our extended family stayed here for a wedding. We had stayed one night at Thanksgiving to check the property out and thought it was very nice. We tried to get a room block at a group rate so family and out of town guests could stay at a discount, but the AmericInn corporate office wanted to charge rack rates--no discount. So, I went online and booked the rooms directly and was able to take advantage of eligible discounts (senior rate, AAA, gov't., etc.). We arrived a night ahead of everyone else and it is a good thing--they had all the rooms on the third floor, which turned out to be the smoking floor, even though I had requested non-smoking for all rooms. We went back to the desk and had them all changed to first and second floor. Our room was not quite as clean as when we'd stayed at Thanksgiving, but was passable. However, family members had different stories that weekend. Some rooms were excellent, others atrocious. My brother went to put his son to bed on the sofa sleeper only to discover the sleeper mattress was full of old moldy food. So, at 11pm, they had to go to the desk and ask for another room. Another relative pulled the sheets on their bed back to discover they were dirty. To the desk for a room change.Some bathrooms were dirty. The breakfast, which had been good at Thanksgiving, was only adequate. They have a lovely pool area and spa, but the rest of the property has gone way downhill. We will not stay there again. And the way they do your bill on checkout is kind of quirky and makes it look like you are being overcharged--the desk staff claims it is set by AmericInn and they can't change how the printouts look.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family