“Will never stay here again!”
Review of Colfax Inn

Colfax Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Colfax
Chicago West Suburbs, IL
“Will never stay here again!”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I just stayed here the past weekend with my mother and two children. We came out for a family bridal shower in Colfax so the location was extremely convenient. We usually stay at the Americinn in Newton but there was a race going on that weekend and that hotel was booked so we thought we would give this a try. I have to say, everyone who worked at the hotel was courteous, but not exactly helpful. We paid $120 for a regular room with 2 queen beds because there was a race going on that weekend in Newton.

When we first checked in, we went to our room and the room smelled musty and mildewy the moment we walked in. When I took off my sandals the carpet felt moist. I checked the entire room and the carpet was wet throughout so I went to the front desk to ask for a different room. The front desk clerk acted like she was surprised and gave us another room. (both on the first floor) The second room was the same way, damp carpet and musty smell. I figured it must be damp from the humidity (it was extremely humid and hot while we were there) and thought I would just ignore that and deal with it. That night after our family get together, I took my two 4 yr olds swimming. They jumped in the pool and as I was about to also, I noticed something on the floor. At first I thought it was a dead cricket, but then after inspecting the floor further, I found SEVEN DEAD BABY FROGS around the pool area. My mother went to complain to the front desk and they said that frogs come in every day and they die in there and are cleaned up the next morning. I also saw a baby frog that was still alive at the bottom of the pool. The following morning after a terrible sleep because I was so grossed out, my mom found a frog in our bathroom.

I have been coming to this area for the pat 32 years. Stay at the Americinn in Newton if at all possible. Otherwise, stay in Des Moines, The Country Inn in Grinnell or in Iowa City. Even the hotels at Amana have gone downhill and we don't stay there anymore. :(

Room Tip: I guess if you want to stay here maybe try the second floor...hopefully that won't have wet carp...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank cntrydancetwinmom
comfortinnia095, General Manager at Colfax Inn, responded to this review, 21 July 2011
Dear "Will never stay here again!":

I was quite distressed when I read your letter concerning the issues you had while a guest at our hotel! Would you please e-mail me your contact information to gm.ia095@choicehotels.com so that I may call you directly to regain your confidence and demonstrate our concern for guest satisfaction? Thank you in advance for your help.

Colfax Comfort Inn, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New York
Reviewed 21 May 2011

After a day of driving from eastern Indiana, and a bit of Great Lakes' sightseeing, we were able to unwind in the pool and hot tub, use the WiFi in the room to check our email and have a good night's sleep. Just what the doctored ordered on a road trip.

The staff was friendly; the breakfast more bountiful than most for an expanded contintental breakfast. We were well fortified for yet another day of cruising along I-80.
A good stop if it fits in with your driving schedule.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PokeyPaddler
comfortinnia095, General Manager at Colfax Inn, responded to this review, 24 May 2011
I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed our pool and hot tub. I'm often jealous when I see our guests come out of the pool room so refreshed and ready to tackle the next task! Also, thank you for the breakfast feedback. We love the smell from the new blueberry waffles! This week we are sampling cinnamon for the first time! Always something new to look forward to!
wisconsin
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Right off interstate. Big room. King bed and sofa. Good buffet breakfast. Used travelers' coupon for a $50 rate. Outside Des Moines, so we avoided the work traffic in the morning as we took off for home in WI. Nothing much to do in Colfax- just a stopping over spot. Very friendly staff.

Room Tip: Use travelers' coupon
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank gogirlWisconsin
Thank you for your comments! We thoroughly enjoy hearing what our guests think of our staff and services. We take great pride in what we do and want each guest to feel right at home as soon as they walk through our doors! Thank you again!
Hayward, California
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I need to start out by saying that when I checked in to this hotel it was after a 1200 mile / 16 hour solo drive. I was beat! Let me tell you, there are not many places to stay in the middle of IA...don't push it like I did thinking that there will be someplace just down the road!

I found the hotel to be very nice...it was clean and had a very comfortable bed. The room was laid out very nicely...and the hotel was quiet with plenty of parking. They breakfast was the standard stuff. Actually, this was probably the cleanest hotel I stayed in on my entire trip. Kudos to the housekeeping staff!

One suggestion...the hotel clerks should know about local amenities...I asked where to get food (it was after 11)...the clerk said there was a gas station down the road or maybe McDonalds might still be open across the parking lot. McDonalds was the only place nearby, and I really think the clerk should have known the hours...afterall, it's practically in the same parking lot.

All in all a good stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank HayGuy
comfortinnia095, General Manager at Colfax Inn, responded to this review, 18 March 2011
Thank you for all of your wonderful comments! I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay!

I will make sure to share your feedback with the staff, especially the housekeeping staff. This will make their day! I will also follow up with the front desk staff, to ensure they become more familiar with our local restaurant hours.

Thank you again for all of your feedback. We truly appreciate it!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed 9 February 2011

To the management: I should have posted this long before. We stayed 1 night going from CO to WI and will be back this summer. This is a well run Comfort Inn. Staff was fantastic even though several youth baseball teams were staying there. Both maintenance and housekeeping were top notch. Great breakfast with a large enough room to enjoy it in. Small pool - but aren't they all these days! Be warned, this is a small town with limited dining options not open very late. Arrive before 9 or eat before. The restaurant next door I cannot recommend after eating there - maybe try the pizza place downtown. Walk around downtown, they have a great little town here and a superb Comfort Inn.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank rsiemers
We love to receive feedback from our guests! Thank you for taking some time to tell us what you think of our service!

We are very proud of our hotel and what we have accomplished! We also like to brag that we have the best guests, which is what makes our job so much fun!

I will definitely share your feedback with our team. They will be thrilled to see what you have posted!

We look forward to seeing you again!
PS: I would highly recommend trying Georgioz Pizza during your next trip. They have the BEST pizza, sandwhiches, salads, pastas and desserts! You won't be disappointed!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colfax
0.6 km away
Prairie Meadows Hotel
#1 of 9 in Altoona
14.0 km away
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Newton

Been to Colfax Inn? Share your experiences!