Big Woods Lake Recreation Area
Review Highlights
Big Woods Campground

We love camping here when in town visiting family. It is a peaceful campground and well taken care... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
virginias729
Santa Rosa, CA
Kayaking

Wonderful place to take kayaks. You need to explore the west end of the lake and go under the... read more

Reviewed 2 October 2018
toddkris
Cedar Falls, Iowa
via mobile

All reviews bike trail nice bike entire lake no wake dog walking kayak rentals great place to walk nice campground main street fishing prairie trees shore boat kayakers picnic geese
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

My husband and I have canoed a lot, and kayaked some, but lately have discovered stand up paddling. Planning a weekend in Cedar Falls, we were happy to find that we could rent SUP boards at Big Woods Lake. We went through Cook's Outdoors.

There were a lot of little bays to explore, which also kept the lake calm. Fun way to cool off on a hot day!

(Sorry, no photos due to water.)

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed 2 August 2018

Great little lake, no wake here! Kayaks canoes, even a few larger boat idling around sometimes. Turtles, eagles, geese and a few snakes - we have seen all this at Big Woods Lake. Even tho there is officially ‘no swimming’ here, I have ‘fallen’ in a few times ;) Weekends there are typically kayak rentals available and you can venture into other lakes through pipes, although it can be challenging going back through them! (I had to get out and hump walk through!)

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Great place to fish, and also great for kayaking, and canoeing. Walking trail encircles the entire lake. Trail is very wide and has sunny and shaded sections. I enjoyed walking my dogs. There is a nice campground on the backside of lake. I will definitely make use of this area again in the near future.

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

We rolled into this campground around 5:00 pm and were LUCKY to get the last spot! We were expecting a campground in the woods because of the name, but were pleasantly surprised to see it all out in the open. The sites were large and not packed in tight. The site we got was right next to the road, but because it’s a dead end road there wasn’t much traffic. We could hear the highway but it wasn’t enough to bother us. Our boys fished in the lake to no avail. My husband and I took a great walk along the paved path that circles the lake. It was beautiful. We’ve camped in a lot of parks on the cross country trip and this was a good one.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed 20 June 2018

Campsites are new with excellent services of water, sewer, electricity. Local residents use this as a quick get away. Friendly folks with evening campfires.. Bring your canoe/kayak to enjoy the lake and surrounding backwaters. Fishing from shore or boat. Boat docks available. A "no wake" lake. Hiking/Walking/Biking trails. Follow the short trail around the lake or hook into the awesome bike trail network in Cedar Falls. Wildlife is abundant for birders or photographers. Otters in the lake, eagle nest in the backwaters, lots of migrating birds and nesting birds in the lowland natural forest. Since this is a new facility shade is lacking, but trees are planted for future.

Date of experience: May 2018