“Has gone way down since our last visit.”

Super 8 Cedar Falls
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Cedar Falls
Reviewed 1 June 2017

We had stayed here several years ago and had excellent things to say about it, which is why we rebooked there again. Maybe last time it was under the Wyndham hotel chain, however it is now under the Hart Family chain. If it had not been a busy memorial day/graduation weekend we wouldn't have stayed after the first night, however, there were no other rooms near by to book.
First let me tell you we are not picky people, but I was so disgusted with the cleanliness of our room and the rest of the motel. Our room had large, visible blood stains on the carpet, (which I was told were old and unable to be removed?), the bathroom floor had paper laying on it and the tub was filthy. I watched and it wasn't until day 4 that the floor in the bathroom was swept. Our room was never vacuumed the entire time we were there. We had to leave notes for housekeeping to refresh our towels, coffee and toiletry items or it was never done.
There were dead worms of some type in the foyer, and the worms were finally cleaned up on day 4. The security (?) coming in from the side entrance was non-existence. The doors did not lock! The grounds surrounding the motel were littered with cigarette butts, paper and trash stuck in the bushes.
And the pool and hot tub...omg, the slate floor was sooo dirty that by the time you got out and walked across it your feet were muddy! The steps leading into the pool had dirt lining the corners and the hot tub was cloudy.
I did complain, but gave up after day 3 when nothing came of it. If there was a manager on duty during that time we were never contacted. Would I recommend this motel? Never. There were other motels in the area for $10.00 or so more that had to have been cleaner and more secure.

Room Tip: Having been on the bottom floor I can tell you that the noise from simple footsteps above was terrib...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Kelly B, General Manager at Super 8 Cedar Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2017

I deeply apologize for the experience you had here. This is not the standards we want to live up to, and have been taking action since then to assure this will not happen again. Since then the exit door you are speaking of locks properly, and there has been a housekeeping meeting regarding everything you have noted. I understand completely where you are coming from with the pool floors, and we are working on getting them replaced this year. I thank you for bringing everything to my attention, so we can take action accordingly on our end. We hope you try us out sometime in the future when traveling through to see the difference.

Reviewed 31 May 2017

First let me say I was not thrilled when my husband told me he booked Super 8. But I was pleasantly surprised! The room was updated, clean, and breakfast was above average for a hotel breakfast. I'd say it was extremely comparable to a Holiday Inn Express. It is not located downtown or near tourist activities - takes about 14 minutes to get to the college area. I agree with Terry W. about refusing the rooms next to the stairwell, but I don't think it justifies the rating. They gave me the room on 1st floor next to that stairwell. I didn't even enter the room before I told them get me a new room. Stairwell next to the pool - no way. The front desk was happy to oblige and moved me to a quiet room on the opposite end. I think stairwells just suck everywhere. Room had a fridge and microwave. Not lots of extra space, but we fit a pack and play with no problem. We checked out the pool but never made it there. It was good size and not crowded, even for Memorial Day weekend.
Breakfast had waffles, biscuits and gravy, 2 types of cereal, toast, yogurt, and apples.
Tip - If you are camping or minimizing your dining out expense, check out the gas station right next door. It was almost like a small grocery store. That was surprising.

Room Tip: Pick end opposite of pool. We had 122 and it was quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Kelly B, General Manager at Super 8 Cedar Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2017

Thank you very much for your excellent review! We appreciate you taking the time to let us know you had a pleasant stay. I'm happy to hear the staff was able to provide a room that suited your needs better. I also want to point out that you are very correct to state the gas station (Kwick Star) is like a small grocery store. We recommend it to a lot of our guests coming in for anything small that they don't want to go to a bigger store for. Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 29 May 2017

Good location - friendly staff - frayed towels reminded me of home.

DO NOT ACCEPT ROOM 202 or any other room next to a stairway. The thumping you hear from daylight to dark are the little kids running up and down the stairs from the pool to their rooms. Or it could be those going to breakfast. The hot breakfast was soooo cheap; hign carbs, nothing else. If you are grandparents then AVOID this place. Never again will I stay here.

Room Tip: Grandparents should stay somewhere else.
1  Thank Terry W

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize you had a bad experience with us, and will work with the staff regarding anything we may be able to do to help these kind of situations in the future. Normally we would want to move you to a different room if you are uncomfortable, but if this wasn't an option we would want to try to work with you in a different way. We hope you give us another chance in the future if traveling through the area, and if requested, can typically place in you a different part of the hotel. It could be a whole new experience!

Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

We visited for a family event. We've stayed at other hotels in the past, but decided to try here since other relatives had stayed. We were not disappointed. We booked through an online travel agency, so I wasn't sure what to expect. We got right into our room with no problems. I would have liked to have a chair in the room, besides the desk chair, but it wasn't bad. The pool was decent our first night, but the second night the water seemed very cloudy. The next morning there were signs up saying the pool was closed.

Good breakfast. My son ate 3 waffles both days, and the biscuits and gravy were very good.

We will stay again.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Kelly B, General Manager at Super 8 Cedar Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to give us your review! We're ecstatic to hear you plan on visiting us again when traveling through the area! I deeply apologize about the pool problems during your stay. Thankfully it has been fixed and is back up and running! Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you again next time.

Reviewed 18 May 2017

Stayed here with two seniors. I had requested rooms close to lobby and breakfast area. The desk clerk (wish I could remember her name) was friendly and helpful. The rooms were very nice. Clean, well lit, and beds very comfortable. Breakfast had a good variety of food and plenty of seating. Will remember this Super 8 when next we travel through this area.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and also for taking the time to leave us such a wonderful review! We are happy to hear you had an excellent stay, and look forward to having you back in the future!