“Great sushi, but try the chicken wings too!”
Review of Shokai Sushi

Shokai Sushi
Ranked #16 of 88 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed 7 May 2018

I highly recommend the spicy octopus sushi. The spicy tuna was pretty good, too, but the octopus was my favorite. We had the chicken wings and some egg rolls as well and both were good. I absolutely love the sauce they use on the wings. Prices are decent and our waiter was very friendly, attentive and accommodating. I will definitely be going back!

Reviewed 31 January 2018

This place has been great in the past but now there is MUCH better sushi to be found at the local Hy Vee grocery store. Not sure what changed, but until the reviews are consistently good again, I won't be going back.

Reviewed 25 October 2017

I’ve been to Shokai Sushi at least a dozen times in my trips to Burlington and it’s really good. The have some unique rolls and the portions on the nigiri is excellent. Of course, with a 4 star review it goes without saying that the seafood is fresh too.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

It was like eating in a run down bar. The service was good but the food was only ok. They need to take a look at Fairfields Shokai and mirror it.

Reviewed 7 April 2017 via mobile

The quality is akin to late night, left over sushi you'd find at a grocery store. Like there's a part of you that understands it's terrible and overpriced but you're really craving sushi so you succumb to the temptation only to realise midway through the first bite you've made a terrible mistake. I grew up in Japan, and while I've come not to expect anywhere close to the quality at least make an effort please. $5 for edamame? That is an abhorrent price for something that is usually free or at the very most $1-2. Kani (spicy crab) salad oddly spelled Koni for some reason is a mess of thickly cut cucumber & outrageously mayo soaked crab. I'm surprised it isn't served with a straw. The sushi looked passable but a bite in and I realised that the rice was crispy (as in old) and the fish quality was on par with what I imagine painting a piece of cardboard would taste like.

I'm really sorry Burlington if this is what passes for good sushi.

On a positive note though. The staff is very nice & I understand they are trying but it is very evident they are entirely clueless as to what Japanese food entails.