“German Restaurant Dining”

Weiss' Gasthaus
Ranked #17 of 324 Restaurants in South Bend
Cuisines: German
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Weiss’ Gasthaus is a small, but cozy German restaurant located in South Bend, Indiana. Free restaurant parking is located at the back of the building. The main dining room is spacious allowing for private conversations and is modestly decorated with German pictures, maps, and other memorabilia.

The wait staff was cordial and familiar with the restaurant’s offerings. Several Octoberfest German beers were available on tap as well as other beverages.

The menu featured a variety of German dishes. On certain days of the week or on the weekends certain special dishes are available. The prices were very reasonable and the quality and quantity of food was excellent.

I ordered the pork schnitzel plate and my wife had the wurst plate. We both specified alternates for some of the vegetables that were on the menu descriptions. The waitress was gracious and had no problem with the substitutions.

We had dessert at the restaurant, but there were only three items available. I was hoping to find some apple strudel, but it was not to be. We did settle on a cherry streusel cake that was very good.

All in all, it was a very pleasant supper and I would return again.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

We stopped on a Thursday evening. The restaurant wasn't crowded so service was prompt. The Schnitzels are SUPERIOR. The meat is pounded very thin and the crust is very tasty. Sauerkraut, red cabbage, spaetzles, and the (warm) bread are all top notch.
The sausages were all good and we liked the opening soups as well.
The peach strudel for desert was good but not as outstanding as the rest of the meal.
These folks know how to cook German food and make it taste right.
There are a number of good German beers available and easy parking behind the restaurant. Try it - you'll like it.

1  Thank reedmantennis
Reviewed 30 June 2017

We were in town on business, and my wife is a big fan of authentic German fare. I tracked this place down while she was in meetings all day, and we were NOT disappointed! The food is fantastic, and the portions substantial! They also have a selection of traditional German beers to pair with your meal. Do not let the neighborhood or appearance of the place turn you away - Weiss' is a gem. Go eat.

Reviewed 8 June 2017

The barley soup was really beef with barley, loaded with beef and flavor. . I could have made my entire meal from that soup, it was so good. I ordered the smoked pork chop done in a honey mustard sauce. WOW! That blend of smokey plus sweet plus mustard was incredible!! The grilled asparagus lent it's own smokey touches, I've never had it so flavorful. The portions were generous; My meal included soup/salad, homemade mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus, and a bowl of red cabbage accompanying that lovely pork chop. The combination of colors, the wonderful flavors made this a treat for the eyes and the palate. My son had the herbed chicken on a bed of spaetzle , it too was great but oh my I absolutely loved my meal! Can't wait to try some of their other soups and meals. Maybe even brunch on Sunday....

Reviewed 4 June 2017

We were traveling through South Bend on the way to a conference and happened to be staying at a hotel across the street from where we were staying. In fact, when my friend looked up places to eat and found this place the directions on GPS said, "This location is 138 feet away." I'm so glad she found it. This was an exceptional stop for us!

We started with some potato pancakes (really great - better than the ones my mom used to make, but don't tell her I said that).

I had schnitzel with Jaeger sauce - it was great. My friend had chicken and spaetzle - also great. We definitely couldn't finish everything. It was a bummer that we were traveling, we couldn't really take the leftovers with us.

This is a simple place that clearly has a ton of history. The wait staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The food was authentic, but came out more quickly than we expected. So good.