“Nice Facility with some HVAC issues”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Abbey Inn

Abbey Inn
Ranked #18 of 24 Nashville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Louisville, Kentucky
“Nice Facility with some HVAC issues”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

We spent three nights in the Iris room mid-Nov 2011. We were upgraded which was a pleasant surprise. The facility is a converted home vintage 1970’s though one would easily guess late 1800s, early 1900. It is well maintained but not everything is new which may put off some folks who might be looking for new "everything". It is used and maintained pretty well; just what I would expect from a bed & breakfast-type of facility (but without food service). There are some snack and beverage vending machines for "emergencies". The facility is located about a mile south of town; beyond walking distance but close and away from the sometimes large crowds.

Abbey Inn caters to newlyweds and those seeking romantic get-aways. Behind the Inn is an outdoor wedding area that will seat about sixty and inside a small area to perform an indoor service for about thirty party members. If you have a family, this is not really a facility for you. Check out the website.

Our electric fireplace did not really put out any heat so my wife and I just snuggled. Not perfect but not a deal killer. I didn’t find out later that I could power it down then back on again and I would get some heat but even when it “worked”, its operation was intermittent. I didn’t mention it to the staff until the late the second day so I will claim mea culpa on that one.
There is only one thermostat on the second floor for the three rooms and it displayed 65 degrees. The Inn really needs to consider updating its’ HVAC to allow for individual room temperature control. We tolerated a cool room Friday night but the outside temperatures were moderate. During late into the night, the temperatures dropped and about noon on Saturday I mentioned the coldness of the air coming into our room to the desk clerk who replied, “I think they just turn on the fans during the day to circulate the air”. No other action taken and I could only hope heat would magically emerge from the vents but it did not. This was cold air – like air conditioning cold and it never did warm up during the night. In fact, it got colder and the electric fireplace still did not kick in. I had to get up in the middle of the night and the bathroom was extremely cold. PJs were required.
The next morning, Sunday, I happened to meet the other two couples on our floor as they were getting ready to check out and both said it was a cold night for them as well. One described Saturday night as “bad”. In the room literature, the Inn recommends closing/opening vents to adjust the temperature but when only cold air is coming out, and the room is already cold, all you can do is close the vents to keep it from getting even colder. The facility strives to give guests privacy but more attention to room comfort is needed. For this, I must mark off a rating circle. I would not recommend this facility for a winter/spring stay until they fix this situation. I would have given the Inn four circles were it not for the HVAC situation.
The hot tub worked and the water was ohhhh, just-right-hot which we used to warm ourselves up. The water was clean. We could cook in the 1980s vintage kitchenette but we were celebrating so why bother? We did use the stove to heat some water for tea and that worked fine. There were some spill stains on the carpet around the fireplace but they appeared to be the kind that couldn’t come out even after cleaning.
The TV was a very large, old-style CRT unit. It was not a new LED/LCD panel but again, let’s be realistic; I did not select this facility based on the video quality. On a plus side, on the main floor, near the vending machines is a bookcase with DVDs that you can select from to watch. Oddly, Hoosiers was the very first selection at eye level.

I did not have any negative impressions with the cleanliness of the bed and bath area, especially with the linens (a concern mentioned by another reviewer). They felt crisp to the touch, smelled fresh, and the bed slept nicely. To state bluntly, there was nothing that left me with the impression that a lot of honeymooners had used this room before me. The bathroom was functional and clean.

We opted for the breakfast buffet at the Artist’s Colony Inn. For two of us it was $4 each which was a deal. I mention this because it was handled by the Inn and we were given a voucher for each breakfast. I mention this in this review of the Inn because I have read some negative reviews of the food selection and quality but let's be realistic: this is a buffet. It is hard to mess up breakfast food unless you try hard and most people visiting a buffet want quantity. If you are particular about the way your eggs are cooked or that you only have either bacon or links as meat items then I recommend ordering off the menu. The restaurant has a breakfast menu with $6-$8 range. I thought the quality very good, not fancy fare but honest, and the price excellent.

I would recommend this facility with only the caveat relating to the HVAC issue we experienced. Visitors may have a better experience during the warmer months. They try to please but in this case fell short. Also, if you feel most comfortable in new, immaculate, facilities and not feel as a guest in someone’s home you may wish to look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Terre Haute, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

Our first stay was wonderful in the Ivy room in November 2010.
We returned to Abbey Inn in October 2011 and stayed in the Magnolia room.
This is where my fiance proposed to me.
Unfortunately, the fireplace did not work and not all of the jets in the hot tub were working. We notified the front desk and nothing was done to fix any of the problems. The room was expensive and it would have been nice to have all of the amenities promised. We tried several times to contact someone even after coming home but no one ever returned our calls.
We would like to return to Abbey Inn to get married as the grounds are beautiful and the rooms are private, peaceful, and romantic, however, the service could use some improvement.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YLB63
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

So nashville is a lot of fun we had a great time in nashville but our room wasn't all that at least not worth the money we paid for the room the sheets felt like they havnt been changed in months they felt dirty I couldn't get any sleep because of this I wasn't relaxed enough I kept think if the sheets feel this way then would I wake up to next far a privicy yeah we had it but for that kind of money thr room should habe been better u could tell this inn was old and was over doo for a make over mud and stackle is okay if ur going to do the job right but I over looked it and was okay well it just that and then when we went to bed I got into bed and I laid there tossing and turning up and down ( don't bother to call anyone there's no one to call ) the stay wasn't good at all we got up at 5 and was on our way home so we spent a whole 12 hr in this room needless to say we were unpleased. Never again will we stay at the abbey if all ur looking for in a inn or hotel is no one being there we'll the abbey is the place you want to go I didn't mind it at first butwhen u lay down in there bed and it feel dirty and u want something done about it u don't want to have to hunt someone down for 250 a night we sould have gotten somthing better I'm sorry but it wasn't worth it

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank sefton1977

Travellers are raving about these Nashville hotels

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

My husband and I spent 2 wonderful nights in the Iris room and loved it. We spent our days hiking in Brown County and it was so relaxing to return to the room in the late afternoon and soak in the hot tub before dinner, then in front of the fireplace after. The staff attended to any ( few) needs we had in a very timely manner. I would recommend this Inn to anyone, however I would not recommend adding the breakfast offered unless you are more interested in quantity then quality. If you do go to the Brown County area, check out The Story Inn. It is a very unique (slightly pricey) restaurant about 30 minutes from the inn, good food that is obtained from the local farms.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
kcraig80
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

My husband and I recently spent the night in the Wysteria room. We really enjoyed our stay. This is a very nice, peaceful place to stay. No one under 18 is allowed to spend the night, so if you are looking for somewhere to rest up, this is the place! The Abbey Inn is much more quiet than the average hotel and you don't here others all night long. My biggest and basically only complaint about our room was there was no good way to get into the hot tub. It would be nice if there were actual steps leading up to the hot tub, but instead there was a little step stool. This makes it difficult to get in and out of the hot tub and I would also think it would be easy for the stool to slip. There is no breakfast offered at this in either, but you can purchase a meal ticket for a nearby resteraunt for a small fee. It would also be nice if there were micorwaves in each room, especially since there are refrigerators. Overall, this is a very nice place to stay and I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple