“Unique setting but mediocre food”

Cell Block 104 Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #9 of 48 Restaurants in Lebanon
Reviewed 18 May 2017

We learned of this establishment from a local news story. This is a unique repurposing of an old building, in this case the one time Boone County Jail . You can dine in an open area but more fun is to be had by requesting seating in one of the cell blocks. In our case, whomever last occupied the cell for criminal reasons was really enamored with someone named Heather as her name was scrawled multiple places on the cell walls. I am merely speculating as I have never been incarcerated, but I am certain the food is better than jail fare , however, the menu is too eclectic and too long which would make it mighty hard to prepare all entrees well. Hubby enjoyed the fried chicken which came with two sides and a salad or soup but my selection , grilled striped fish , was dry at the corners and then overseasoned for the remainder. The roasted veggies were almost squishy. The craft beer I had was quite good but I failed to check the receipt while there and am now thinking I might have been wrongly charged. It took a very long time for our order to be advanced to the chef as the server kept returning to our table with questions but this was her first day so we gave her slack for that. She did say that the menu would be changing and narrowing in the next two months to include more fresh ingredients and popular dishes so I would definitely give them a chance to figure this out. They have only been open since October. Do know they have early closing hours, even on weekends.
As it stands right now, go for the experience but keep your expectations modest.

Reviewed 14 May 2017 via mobile

Went with my son on mother's day, was seated promptly. The food was great and atmosphere was fun and relaxing. Did a little tour after lunch which made it not only a great lunch, but a destination. A mother's day I'll always remember. Great blueberry cheesecake.

Reviewed 2 May 2017

We went to the Cell Block 104 for lunch not too long after it opened. It's a very "one-of-a-kind" type place to eat. They were still getting the kinks worked out of their system so service and the menu was not as one might expect if they had been open for some time. Several months later we went there again for lunch and found they had worked the kinks out and were quite efficient in the service and food preparation. However the menu was still on hand typed 8-1/2 by 11 piece of paper. Both times my wife had a sandwich and I had the luncheon buffet and both were very good and reasonably priced. The other evening we decided to give them a try for dinner. Big mistake!!! I'm not sure what happened between the last time at lunch and the other evening but service was almost non-existent. We waited several minutes at the door to be seated. After no one seemed to notice we were waiting to be seated I went looking for someone. No one seemed to notice I was wondering around the restaurant looking for a person to help us. Finally I found a waitress and ask if we could be seated. The menu was a huge improvement over the luncheon visits. Very nice and professionally done, however, my first two choices were no longer available. We finally found something that was still available and then it was served almost cold. The food would have been only marginal if it had been served up to temperature. Their dinner prices were quite high compared to the luncheon menu. My wife had a ribeye steak, baked potato and a glass of the house wine. I had the shrimp fettuccine and a diet Mt. Dew. Our bill with a 12% tip was just over $70. The place really had the appearance that it was about to go out of business. It's kinda sad because it is a very unique place to eat. We won't be going back though!

Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

Old converted jail. They did make it a unique experience.
Upon arriving no hostess for almost 4 minutes. The young hostess how long you been waiting. Then seated us. I guess you have to ask for a cell. Waitress was nice. Her first day. Food was a little above average. Most burgers are around $10.00. Tenderloin was good. Bar is small. Most parking is around the court house square. Upon leaving the two hostesses, one was laying down in the lap of the other. You make the decision.

Reviewed 29 March 2017

The food was good and the service was good. If you aren't claustriphobic try eating in one of the cells.