All reviews butler's pantry willow room bed and breakfast minute walk selection of dvds raisin bread updated bathroom plenty of storage boiled eggs whirlpool tub definitely stay here again the ground floor two nights pleasant stay downtown indy star hotel popcorn
Reviewed 6 October 2017

We picked the Looking Glass Inn as something a little different from the chains that we had been staying in as part of a road trip. I spotted on previous reviews that they like to know when you will be arriving so that the inn keeper can greet you on arrival. We managed to do this and found no trouble in parking and unloading on our arrival.

The inn is a good size with many rooms available to book. We stayed in the “Portrait Room” which is on the ground floor and accessed via a huge sliding door. The room itself was a good size with plenty of storage. We worried as the bed frame creaked a lot when you sat on it / got off it, but didn’t make much noise whilst actually asleep on it so this wasn’t a problem. The bathroom had an old-style free standing bath tub, and we found water pressure to be fine. The toiletries provided were re-stocked during our stay.

Breakfast during the week is a “cold” breakfast (though they do have a toaster) but there was plenty to choose from. The dining room was just across the hall from our room so the smell of coffee was pleasant to wake up to! The other guests were not noisy at all which meant there was no disturbance in staying on the ground floor.

The Inn has a reading room at the front, and a parlour that guests can use (though we didn’t see anyone there during our stay). There is also a conservatory at the back of the property with a number of board games for guests to use. Upstairs they had a small collection of DVDs & magazines that guests could take back to their rooms should they want to. There was also a small “Butler’s pantry” upstairs that was stocked with coffee, cold cans of soda, and some snacks like crackers, popcorn, and chips.

There was a Kroger Supermarket a short walk from the hotel, and I think it was about a mile to walk to the centre of Indianapolis. The Speedway was around 6 miles away (about 10-15 minutes drive) so not too far away from attractions.

Overall, this was a pleasant stay.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Villa I, Owner at Looking Glass Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2017

Thank you for your kind words and thoughtful review of our inn. We hope to see you upon your return to Indy!

Reviewed 6 September 2017

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in July, and chose it purely because it was one the few remaining ones with rooms available. I am very happy to have booked this place!
The area is amazing, quiet and the architecture is lovely. The hotel is quiet, wifi is good inside the hotel, and free, and breakfast is delicious.
The staff members are very kind and helpful.
I highly recommend this B&B, which was much better than a 4-star hotel I stayed in the following week!

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Chrystel M
Reviewed 28 August 2017

My wife and I enjoyed our recent two night stay at the Looking Glass Inn B&B. The staff were very nice, the breakfasts were delicious and our room was clean, quiet and spacious. They pipe in classical music into the dining room which helps to create a nice ambience for relaxation. We stayed in the Crimson Room which is located on the second floor toward the back. It was very quiet as this is the only guest room at the back on the second floor. The bed was a queen size with a firm, but not hard mattress. The bathroom had recently been remodeled so it had a normal tub with shower as opposed to a claw tub with a wrap around shower curtain. Not luxurious but hey, it is a bed and breakfast. They also have a snack room which contains small bags of chips and crackers along with a mini refrigerator stocked with soft drinks and a filtered water machine. All gratis. It is located in the Old Northside neighborhood which is a quiet tree lined street 13 blocks from the center of downtown Indy. I highly recommend The Looking Glass Inn.

Room tip: Crimson Room was nice for a couple.
Date of stay: August 2017
Reviewed 17 August 2017

We were in town for a week with DCI and stayed in the Willow Room. It had the most comfortable bed we've slept in away from home and we travel a lot. The Inn is an old victorian style home in the middle of a neighborhood with scenic homes and views where you see people walking and riding bikes everywhere with dogs, which I loved! "V" who met us at the door when we arrived was amazing. He gave us tips on restaurants, where it was safe to walk since that is our preferred way to get around. There is a small parking area behind the Inn but you can also park on the side if it is full. The butler pantry on the top floor was a few steps from our room and always had soda, chips and crackers which was nice after long walks. Breakfast was good - large muffins, boiled eggs, breads (loved the raisin bread), greek yogurt, cereal, milk, juices and on the weekend you get quiche/casserole and we were only there Saturday but it was amazing with sausage links on the side. Lucas Oil, Victory Field and the Zoo were about a 45 minute walk. You can park at the Zoo for $7 and walk about 10 min to Lucas Oil. The Indy Zoo itself is AMAZING. It is beautiful with close up animals, an aquarium, the most beautiful garden, butterfly house, even rides. We spent most of a day there. One place we visited but were not impressed was the NCAA Museum. It was only $5 to get in but we probably would not do it again. We are however ready for another trip to Indy and stay at The Looking Glass Inn!!!

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Villa I, Owner at Looking Glass Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

Your kind and thoughtful remarks are very much appreciated! Our future guests will benefit from your posting.

Thank you so much!!

Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

I booked a room online for next year. So I gave my CC# to hold room. That's what the sight said. Then I looked around they took 350.00 off my card. I called they said we need half up front. The sight never said half now. It said pay at property when you arrive. Then try took over 50.00 to cancel room. The sight said 50.00 to cancel not over 50.00. It took 72 hours for me to receive my money. Did it take 72 hours for you to get my money for the room. The owner is, very rude and unprofessional. I will tell everyone not to book at this not so pleasant Inn.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Villa I, Owner at Looking Glass Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

This reservation was made via Booking.com. Our cancellation policy is clearly stated and all guests must click a box acknowledging our policies. If the box is not clicked, guests will not be allowed to proceed with making a reservation. In our cancellation policy verbiage, it clearly states a 50% deposit is due at the time of booking and the 50% balance is due upon arrival at the inn. This policy has been in place since we opened our doors 18 years ago. Our policy also allows for cancellations 7 days in advance during non-special event periods with a 15% processing fee being assessed. This fee covers expenses we incur from all credit card companies. It is not free to charge or refund credit card charges. This was explained to the guest.

Additionally, we do not have control over the amount of time it takes credit card companies to refund monies to a card. We process the refund on the day it is requested but credit card companies can take up to 72 hours per their own rules to reflect the credit.