All reviews private club monument circle valet and bell staff grand lobby comfortable lobby soldiers and sailors monument valet parking downtown indianapolis great downtown location fitness center room key up to date wardrobe flushing conference units marriott
Reviewed 18 June 2018

Entering the Columbia Club for a special two-day event was absolutely incredible. I had not been there for nearly 30 years, when I was able to host my wedding rehearsal dinner there during the holiday season, and the venue was even more beautiful than I remembered.

The food served at a two-hour cocktail party followed by the food served at dinner were beyond compare. I especially enjoyed the cocktail shrimp mini servings and the bruschetta for appetizers along with a awe-inspiring dinner that included three different meats on the plate as well as a wide selection of mini desserts. Everything was simply top-notch.

In talking to other guests of this particular two-day event, we discovered that our room was one of the normal shaped ones. Evidently, the conversion of this hotel built in the late 1800s left several rooms with weird little hallways leading to bathrooms and strange set-ups, like shelves in the bathrooms instead of countertops. Our room was set up beautifully with lots of counter space in the room and the bathroom, including an extra closet in the bathroom in addition to the wardrobe in the bedroom. We also had a counter in the bedroom area with a Keurig, which was nice. The only complaint we had about the room was the temperature. First, it was hot outside -- in the high 80s and low 90s. But even after running the fan and air conditioning on high, the room was simply muggy. I think this is understandable, considering the age of the building itself, but it was a little disappointing, considering we wanted to look our best when attending events. I had to accept very flat hair, and my husband was concerned about sweating through his dress shirt before he even pulled on his jacket coat.

Would I stay at the Columbia Club again if given the opportunity? Absolutely. What a beautiful experience. Surely an member who owns an engineering firm can figure out that air conditioning soon, though.

Room tip: I'm not sure if it's possible to request a room with a normal configuration, but you should try.
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 29 May 2018

This place has a few issues but not character and location. If you want rooms with granite floors, shiny surfaces and bathrooms from Vogue Living try elsewhere.
Fabulous entry hall with no crowds of fresh-off-the-fields peasants huddling around tour desks,15 foot mullioned and stained glass windows, a salubrious bar and a fireplace you could roast a side of beef in. Rooms are comfortable. Remember this is a club, not a chain hotel. Four days here over the Indy 500 made me fully appreciate its 'clubbiness' and the members are friendly and helpful -even to non-Republicans.
A refreshing change from the 'cookie-cutter' in a city where the footpaths are always empty because everyone is enjoying the bars and excellent restaurants.

Room tip: Try for a front room overlooking the Monument.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2018

I booked this room through a third party site. I chose it because the price was ok, and it was located downtown. The website didn't offer much information on the hotel, and it was hard to see what you were getting. For starters, there is no close parking, and valet service is $40. We had to park 3 blocks away and walk to the hotel. The staff was nice and courteous. The room was fairly clean, I could tell the counter tops weren't wiped down all the way by the water rings left. They gave us a room with 2 full size beds (there were 4 of us) and they were very firm. We were given an ice bucket in the room but there was no ice machine available on the floor. There was also no vending machine for snacks or soda. The front desk offered cans of pop for $3 a piece.The room temperature was hard to control because there was only a small thermostat on the wall that had 2 options. I will not be staying again. If you are looking for a place for an event, things may be different but we were not there for that reason. The hotel inside is beautiful and would make for a great event location.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

Seriously needs to get with it. This is my second time at the hotel and that’s twice that I left with a bad taste. First visit had plumbing (hot/cold and drainage) issues. This time WiFi issues. Don’t get caught up with it being a “Historical” hotel, it’s just “Old” and needs alot of work.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 13 April 2018

The best thing about the Columbia Club is the history of the building and the historical artifacts in the common areas. The location is also a plus.
Unfortunately, as other guests have reported, there was no hot water for showers, and staff did not seem concerned. The service was spotty. Some of the staff were friendly and helpful, but many were cold ... like the water in the rooms.
Also, we used the fitness facility. There was never any mention that there is a fee to use the gym; that is, until the bill came. The facilities -- while fairly nice -- were small. A 45-minute workout here is definitely not worth the extra fee charged.

Date of stay: March 2018