“Best Cheeseburgers in Indianapolis”

Working Man's Friend Tavern
Ranked #121 of 2,611 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A friend from Indy suggested this place for lunch one day. Just an old dive bar in the suburbs. Serves a limited menu but everyone goes for the cheeseburgers! Huge burgers, very filling, great prices. If you come to Indianapolis try this place!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This place is a riot. The neighborhood isn't very good. The building is pretty shabby. That said, the burgers are FANTASTIC! I've only ever been for lunch, so I can't speak the atmosphere at night.

The burgers though... a nice, crispy piece of classic Indy goodness.

Unlike some other reviewers, I've only ever experienced pleasant servers.

Only complaint? The iced tea. It is truly awful. I'm kinda thinking that they brew the tea in a coffee maker. It tastes well and truly horrible. I clearly should have just had a beer.

Reviewed 2 August 2018

so went there because of an article about their double cheeseburgers. the staff can be sometimey and kind of standoffish acting, but if you overlook that, it's worth it because the food is excellent. the only thing is that they close very early. the double cheese burger is everything it's cracked up to be, plus they have things, like fried zucchini, that are kinda of hard to find. it's a simple menu, but everything is really, really tasty. everybody is making 15.00 to 20.00 and higher burgers now, but their little under 6.00 burger is still better tasting. just wish the staff were more friendly though.

2  Thank yolanda d
Reviewed 20 April 2018 via mobile

Heard and read about this place. Fantastic. Food is very good and great atmosphere. Double cheeseburger is very good and worth the trip.

1  Thank rjmoser187
Reviewed 17 April 2018

It's been a few years since I ate at Working Man's Friend. There was a recent story in the Indianapolis Star that covered the history of the Tavern over the last 100 years. Quite interesting. Spiked my interest to return. My wife and I had an appointment nearby, then we headed there for lunch. There were cars lined up in the parking lot waiting for the doors to open at 11:00 am. A waitress promptly took our order, and we devoured the tasty cheeseburger and fries. Excellent! By the time we left 45 minutes later, there were no available tables. An historic Indy tradition and we'll return again !

1  Thank Bob K