“Indescribably wonderful place”

Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Wedza
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Imire is absolutely, unequivocally magical. I participated in the volunteer program for 3 weeks and it was a life-changing experience. Whether working with the community (and especially the local schools), interacting with the animals or just contributing to this amazing conservation project, the work is so rewarding and presents an incredible opportunity to learn about yourself, the world around you, and most importantly, what unites all people. You work hard, you play hard, and you make memories that will last a lifetime. I've visited over 40 countries in my life and this is one of the most special places on earth. Imire is incredible beyond words.

ImireRhino, Manager at Imire: Rhino & Wildlife Conservation, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Dear Genevieve,

Thank-you so much for these incredibly special words! We are so grateful for our volunteers, and we would not be able to achieve half the work we do without people like you. Thank-you so much for taking the time to review us, and we hope you will visit us again in the future!

All reviews
"one night"
"morning game drive"
"friends and family"

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

I had put a trip to Africa as #1 on my bucket list years ago, so when I started to plan the trip I wanted it to be perfect! After months of researching volunteer programs I stumbled across Imire. They definitely did not disappoint! The accommodations were lovely... a house on a lake with an Inground pool!!! How could you go wrong? Everyday was an adventure. Whether you were enjoying a stroll with some elephants, meeting the local children at the schools or tracking Rhinos, the staff always made it memorable. There were chefs making us 3 meals a day, which were delicious (and I’m a picky eater). Our daily guide Bright, was not only knowledgeable but he was entertaining, never a dull moment. The volunteer coordinator Morgan and Rob were some of the nicest most genuine people I’ve ever met. The elephant handlers were amazing, Petros & Polite. I hope to visit again really soon. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to feed their soul.

ImireRhino, Manager at Imire: Rhino & Wildlife Conservation, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Dear Gena,

Thank-you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to review us. We are so grateful for the ongoing support of our volunteers, thank-you for playing your part in our conservation efforts!

We would love to have you back again!

Reviewed 13 March 2018

I wanted to share with you what was the incredible experience of volunteering at Imire, Zimbabwe.
Imire is a Gamepark for rhino and wildlife conservation launched by the Travers family.
It all started in the 50’s when Gilly Travers, a farmer and great hunter realised that wildlife in Africa was dying and decided to start a rhino breeding program on his land. Then, one by one, he introduced or rescued all kind of animals : girafes, impalas, buffalos, elephants…etc
Despite the terrible poaching episode of 2007 which killed 3 of their rhinos, and the constant threats for taking the land during the Mugabe period, they kept working there for this amazing wildlife that they succeeded to keep safe and growing.
While they were working for wildlife conservation, they managed to extend the park by buying more land and created more than 450 jobs for people of the community in this country where there’s 95% of unemployment.
Those people understood that wildlife in Africa cannot be saved if they don’t involve the communities around.
Therefore, Judy Travers is currently working on 4 amazing projects :
-creating a women clinic (because often women get to walk 30 km to deliver and cannot afford to pay a stay at the hospital so they’re sent back home the same day with their baby)
- creating female kits with washable, reusable pads : because girls at school in poor areas often don’t have pads (or even underwear) and stop going to school for that reason
- Teaching women of the community how to sew so they can make clothes (with some fabric that was donated) and earn money
- Teaching men carpentry and welding thanks to a workshop built by a donator and tools donated as well��.
Those projects are life changing for the people of the community and are meant to reach self-sustainability quite fast.
�In the meantime those people are doing everything they can to save black and white rhinos and other endangered species that are poached and hunted like never before. They don’t believe in zoos, they believe in putting their heart and money in creating the best environment they can to make those animals breed and happy (and so far it’s working really well). Those people give you faith in humanity.
As a volunteer you will get a chance to help on a LOT of projects they have. For the animals and for community.
I never felt so usefull in my life. Thanks Imire for one of the best time in my life !!
I will come back !

1  Thank anne-sophie p

Dear Anne-Sophie,

We are truly grateful for your support as a volunteer, and thank-you so much for sharing your experience and writing a review.

We loved having you as a part of our programme and we hope you will be able to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 11 February 2018

My late husband , SIMON daughter HOLLY and self were so very lucky to visit Imire in approx. 1995, travelling on the back of a tractor viewing the game, inc The famous elephant who put stones on his head. We came up close and personal with rhinos , one minus an ear, and the elephant handlers who guarded them. A baby rhino had recently been born and its location top secret. An amazing place , yesr later I was to meet a former ranger there , now working near Vic Falls. Small world.Imire is near my husbands family 's former farm Igava, though he was brought up on Marirangwe , Marondera.

2  Thank Coral R

Dear Coral R,

What special memories, thank-you for sharing this with us!

We hope you can visit again one day soon.