“Best in Class!!”

La Canoa
Ranked #30 of 153 Restaurants in Waukegan
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 20 January 2018

Simply, the best Mexican food I have ever had! So many great menu options makes ordering a bit difficult but everything I've tried there is so fresh and wonderfully seasoned. Clearly a favorite of the local Hispanic population, a great testament to the authenticity and quality of the food! Do yourself a favor and go. You can thank me later!

Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

Enjoy the tables and colorful chairs.. Pic Informal setting with ESPN deportes on large TV.. We go late afternoon or early evening when we can chat easily together

If you do not speak Spanish well I encourage you to get a server fluent in English

La Canoa starts with 4 salsas.. Spicy red, Mild Flavorable red, tomatillo green, and ceviche sauce served with chips.. I love the green, Mary Ann had a refill on ceviche

The menu has colorful photos of each entree, salad, desserts

We both had catfish with garlic bagre de ajo super delicious and not standard us Mexican food.. It's whole catfish if you want head cut off then ask ahead

The corn tortillas are warm with the flavor and texture of corn.. This is the best I have ever had here, in Chicago or Mexico!!!

Ordered Avacado Filled with Seafood or Aguacate Rellena..

Large Avacado Crescent Slices
So smooth just perfect texture on bottom, bunches of seafood and greens, then more Avacado slices certainly more than one Avacado lots of lime

Ordered Seafood Tostada.. Stacked 3x what normal restaurants serve.. The waiter said and I am translating his joke 'eat at your risk' lol It was that much food lol

Huge quantities of food Mary Ann took doggy bag home.. Price of the meal under $60 for 2.. Whole Catfish $15.95, Seafood Tostada $5.95

We had no room for dessert but later that evening went to Culver's for daily special frozen yogurt to go

A delightful time.. Highly recommend La Canoa

Reviewed 6 August 2016

Our party of four ordered the Canoe, an abundant mixed seafood platter and ate as much as we could. It would probably feed eight because our son and daughter-in-law took home enough tasty seafood for several meals. The help and management (and decor) is like taking a trip to Cozumel.

Reviewed 30 May 2016 via mobile

What a great atmosphere and welcoming staff, we had the pleasure of having Oswaldo as our waiter and he so engaging even offering us a sampling of michelada due to the fact we were gringos .

Reviewed 25 March 2016

A really fun and lively place to in Waukegan. We have had dinner here a couple of times now and I am in love with their seafood cocktails. We have ordered the Veracruzano cocktail twice now. It comes in a huge glass and is packed with shrimp, oysters and octopus, topped with avocado. This is a meal in itself. Hubby loves octopus, if I weren't sharing with him I would choose the option that is just the shrimp and oysters.

I haven't settled on a main dish that I love yet but I haven't had a bad meal yet either. There are so many options on the menu that it is very difficult to know where to begin or what to choose.

Service has been inconsistent. The first time we dined here we had a fabulous waiter. He was friendly and attentive. The second time our waitress was friendly enough but too busy. She disappeared for long periods of time. In the end we were almost late for our show because we couldn't find her to get the bill.