“AMAZING!!!”

El Caporal
Ranked #44 of 153 Restaurants in Waukegan
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 16 August 2015

The food here is so good! If you want authentic Mexican food this is the place to go. I have not found another restaurant in Waukegan that has good Mexican food and I have been to all of them in the Waukegan area. This one is definitely the best one!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

With so many restaurants moving out of downtown, I was looking for a lunch place and had been driving past El Caporal for years, so decided to go in. What a good idea! Very clean, very nice service, and excellent food! I got carry out and it was fast, not too expensive, and tastes great.
My one complaint is that the music in the restaurant is way too loud. However, if you like authentic Mexican foods with a wide variety of things to choose from, made simply and quickly, this is a good choice. I will go back for sure!

1  Thank SammySardine
Reviewed 19 November 2013

In town for a show at the Theater Downtown. Our choice of food was overbooked, walked out of a Chinese restaurant for lack of service and were restricted on time. GPS found this place a few blocks away. Good choice. Service and food were great. Chips and Salsa. Yum. spicy, yet not overbearing. Good portions, and reasonable prices. My only comment would be the steak was a little salty for my taste, but had good flavor. Not a fancy place by any means, just good food. And a plus, the ladies bathroom was spotless!

2  Thank roadtrippersx2Chicao
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I love el caporal! It's the best mexican restaurant I have ever been to and no other one can compare to it. I love their gorditas de frijoles y queso and their agua de Jamaica! It is just pure Mexican Goodness!

1  Thank choheem
Reviewed 26 May 2009

I like El Caporal and have recommended it to friends several times. For the longest time their Taco Dinner was the value in the city at $4.65 but has now bee raised to $5.75. Even at the higher price, I would compare it with any other in town. Fresh salsa (sometimes hotter than others) with just the perfect amount of cilantro and chips to start, small tortillas doubled up with carne, onions and cilantro, beans are good and rice(which I normally pass on) very good as well.

One of the special dinners it Mocahete. This hot beef stew is fabulous. I ask to substitute rice for the beans side so that I can add it to the stew to decrease the temp. All in all a wonderful cultural experience. Brush up your Spanish skills!

1  Thank shotec