See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 December 2015

My family stayed here because I had worked here many years ago, (1972-74) and wanted to see how it had changed. when we checked in there was 2 young ladies at the desk working on lap tops but the informed us that they did not work for the hotel. that I was to call a number posted at desk to get checked in. It was about 3:30pm and it took about 35 min. to get checked in no one else was there to check-in. we were given a room on the 2nd floor. It was very nice. carpet was old and dirty. Microwave and refridge were new and worked fine. the heater/ac did not work very well. It would turn on and run for about 5 min then shut off for about 40 min then kick back on. this was thanksgiving week and I understand that it is not a very busy time for hotel in urbana-cjhampaign, but, I did not see any other guests in hotel. On friday it started raining and got colder the heater did not work well at all and the windows leaked getting rain water all over the carpet. When we checked out on Saturday, there was noone at the desk to get a receipt or ask any questions of. I may come back but I hope a new owner will be better at running a working hotel.

Room Tip: wait until a new owner takes over
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2015

The location is very convenient to Univ of Illinois. When we arrived, three 20-something workers were behind the desk, but their customer service orientation was fairly low. I needed to ask questions to get any information about the stay.

The renovated portions of the main floor are gorgeous (dining rooms, common areas), but they don't appear to be used for anything. There is absolutely nothing to do at this hotel except watch tv in your room.

The bedding and towels were immaculately clean, but I can't say so for the carpet. The refrigerator and microwave were clean and seemed new. Our room (421) was freezing - it was 35F outside when we arrived and the heater was not on. I immediately turned it on to High Heat and High Fan, some warm air trickled out - the fan did not blow. With the trickle of heat (and a non-insulated window above the heater), the room was still cold in the morning.

The walls are very thin, so we could (pretty continuously) hear people in the next door (and in the hallway), even though they seemed to be using "inside voices". Also, the bathroom and hall/closet were very dark... more lights please!

Overall, it was clean and comfortable enough... but set your expectations appropriately. Much potential with some more attention to detail... and (unfortunately for the owner) more investment in heaters, windows, and insulation/soundproofing.

Stayed: November 2015
1  Thank Golfgal5
Reviewed 16 November 2015

Charming , in a welcome to the set of the shining kind of way. The room was clean and the appliances worked. But it still needs a bunch of work. The chandelier hang over one of the beds was connected to the ceiling by its wires only , same in the bathroom... Its a very dark hotel .
They are trying to rehab the place while saving money everywhere possible. The young lady at the front desk was wearing her winter coat , it appeared the heat was turned wayyy down. The rooms have there own wall heaters , which were more than adequate .. Bar was closed . Its connected to a mall so you can shop or grab a snack very close.. All in all I probably wont stay here again if i have choices.. The previous guest in our room must have had similar feelings because the notepad in the bedside draw had. the word REDRUM written on it, How funny is that .. Hand to God..

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mpk218
Reviewed 3 September 2015

We came to visit my son at U of I and stayed here because my mother in law has memories of events at this hotel when she grew up in Urbana. We had reserved 3 rooms. At first we almost didn't stay because the restaurant wasn't open due to remodeling and the bar was closed until the school year starts. The girl at the front desk was very helpful and gave us a discount on the rooms. The beds were quite comfortable and the rooms were clean. I'll be honest - the hotel lobby could be used for a set in an elegant haunted house movie - it has character. If your into that, stay here because it is indeed unique.

Stayed: July 2015
4  Thank Mike P
Reviewed 20 August 2015 via mobile

This Hotel is the exact same one as the Historic Lincoln Hotel. It's been opened and closed, about 3 times in last six or seven years. From what I gather the new owner has done substantial work on rooms and some of the building and facilities, but has quite a way to go. And...it is currently FOR SALE again. But is still open and operating.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends