“Warm and Cozy in January”

Chestnut Street Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Sheffield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 May 2011

I needed a couple of days of "me time" and I couldn't have found anything better. The Chestnut Street Inn is a complete delight! The inn in general, my room in particular, the food, the innkeepers, everything exceeded my wildest expectations. Jeff and Monika, the innkeepers, have not missed a single detail-----the amenities and creature comforts are what one would expect from a five star luxury hotel!

Monika is of course an accomplished chef. So in addition to experiencing a great B & B, I was treated to gourmet cooking (breakfast and dinner)!!! I wanted for nothing! My only problem was having to leave!

I can't wait to get back. I already know I'm going to be a Chestnut Street Inn "regular"!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 January 2011

We were looking for a place to shake off the winter blues, and meet up with close friends coming from all points in Illinois. We found just the right place in Sheffield’s Chestnut Street Inn. All of us are business owners, so we were very tired from our respective commitments. The minute we entered the door, our burdens started to lighten. Refreshments were offered at once, and we relaxed in the comfortable ambience of this restored mansion decorated with mementos from two show business careers and many international travels. An eclectic variety of music was played, and the conversation never lagged, nor was there talk of the ordinary or mundane. We were reminded of the old salons in the best houses of Europe, where artists, philosophers, politicos, and aristos gathered in the last century. The haute cuisine of Monika Sudakov is beyond description, and the gourmet breakfasts and dinners pleased even the most jaded and experienced palates. One breakfast was a soufflé stuffed with hearts of palm and topped with crispy highest quality bacon strips and avocado with pineapple and kiwi garnish. A full prime rib dinner the first night featured a butternut squash soup with creme fraiche, and the second night a variation on traditional matzo ball soup. The salads were exquisite and full of complex ingredients combined to produce taste explosions in the mouth. Monika is the undisputed creme brulee queen, too! The portions for meals are large, even by Midwest standards, and it is difficult not to stop eating. Entertainments were arranged the second day of our visit, with salon treatments all afternoon for the ladies and a guided tour of a magnificent mansion for the men. This was our second visit to Chestnut Street Inn, and between the high tone conversation, culinary finesse, and beautiful and comfortable bedroom suites, we reluctantly left feeling joyful.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2010

Monika is the talented innkeeper and chef. Her meals are wonderful. The service os superb and the Inn is spotless.
We have traveled to 70-some countries and generally stay in inns and boutique hotels.
Monika's warm personality, her willingness to serve gluten-free meals and the proximity to the Hennepin Canal Path make this a welcome find. We've stayed her many times over the past decade and highly recommend the Chestnut Inn to friends.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2010

I cannot say too much about Chestnut Inn. It is comfortable, relaxing, welcoming and has wonderful food. The optional dinner was great, and Monika cheerfully accommodated my dietary restrictions. I would love to visit often.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 September 2010

This is our fourth stay at this lovely inn and perhaps our finest. All the food is so
exceptional we didn't want to leave. Monika is such a gifted and talented chef. Jeff is a perfect host working along side Monika. The rooms have delightful beds and pillows as well as charm.
Don't come to the area and not stay or eat here. You can't find anything this nice within 200 miles.
We have stayed at many, many, b&b's all over. This is a diamond in the rough.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Been to Chestnut Street Inn? Share your experiences!