“Unresolved middle-of-the night plumbing issues; hotel management calls you a liar”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago-Saint Charles
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Saint Charles
Reviewed 2 October 2017

With the possible exception of having a comfortable bed, nothing is more important to a stay in a hotel than having working plumbing. Not only does this hotel not fix the plumbing issues you bring to their attention, they call you a liar if you claim otherwise.

We checked in last week for a three-night stay. The first night, the toilet became stopped up at 4:00 a.m. I went downstairs for a plunger and told the front desk this meant I wasn't satisfied with my stay. This was early Friday morning so it gave them a whole weekday to solve the problem. Later that morning, I checked in with the front desk to make sure it would be fixed, at which time I also mentioned the bathroom sink which was slow to drain.

The next night, the toilet problem unfortunately repeated itself -- and I had to go back downstairs again to get the plunger. Both nights I told the front desk I was invoking the "100% Hampton Guarantee," where I can "talk to any member of (their) team, and (they'll) make sure (I'm) 100% happy." Though I didn't mention it, the sink was also still not draining properly.

At checkout, the same fellow who was working both nights was there. I told him I wasn't happy about the two-night faulty toilet issue and was surprised they still gave me a bill for the full price of my three-night stay. I reminded him about the Hampton Inn policy and asked for a substantial credit. Even though I didn't specify it, he took it to mean I wanted two nights free -- okay, that would have been satisfactory.

He couldn't or wouldn't give me any credit and asked for my contact information so a manager could contact me. Later that day, I heard from a manager who told me they would only give me one night free. To add insult to injury, she said: "Both of our maintenance people said the toilet was working fine." Really? So I'm lying? Or, maybe they think I went downstairs two days in a row at 4:00 a.m. for a plunger just for kicks?

Here's the point: there are numerous other similar quality hotels in the area (including a Courtyard by Marriott within sight of this hotel). Presumably these other hotels maintain their plumbing better than the Hampton Inn St. Charles. And, if they don't, hopefully they don't call you a liar for suggesting otherwise or refuse to give you full credit for an unsatisfactory stay. I strongly suggest you choose another hotel when staying in the St. Charles area.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a working toilet or insist they have a plunger in the room.
1  Thank NickK7501

Reviewed 27 September 2017

Hotel staff very nice and accommodating . Rooms were well kept and cleanl Bed was extremely comfortable. Would highly recommend this property. Close to shopping and dinning. Free breakfast was good and had many choices.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Great staff. Shuttles available to train station if you need to visit Chicago. We appreciated history of this area and so different to city. Lots of local restaurants too. Fabulous river walks, parks, statue park, shopping

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2017

The Hampton Inn St. Charles delivered a really great stay. The staff were awesome and made you feel important. I enjoyed the breakfast it was hot and tasty. Rooms were excellent, clean and roomy. Shower had good water pressure and was clean. Big room could use a larger TV.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 September 2017

We had a family wedding in the area so all of the wedding party and many family and friends stayed at this Hampton Inn. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They provided shuttle service to and from the venue which was great and the staff seemed to also enjoy the people staying there. The entire hotel was immaculate and the beds were very comfortable. Would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Charles
6.1 km away
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#2 of 2 in Geneva

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago-Saint Charles? Share your experiences!