Review Highlights
A Must See when in Chicago!

We saw their story on Strange Inheritance and decided to take a trip to see it for ourselves... read more

Reviewed 4 July 2018
Robo C
via mobile
A unique experience

Went with a group of coworkers. We were able to book a private show at 1pm, including a 'back stage... read more

Reviewed 9 September 2016
Travel187196
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 April 2015

I have been attending this for over a decade. I love this place. If you love the opera or arts in any way or just want something very unique to do this puppetry is amazing. They are so detailed that they can hold fans, and do very minute motions. It is by far one of the last of the greats in Illinois. I highly suggest it.

Date of experience: April 2015
4  Thank Amy R
Reviewed 31 March 2015

This is not opera by any stretch of the imagination. They play a record of opera music, and then puppets (admittedly very nice puppets) slide along slots from side to side and make random movements that have nothing to do with the music or the story of the opera. I don't know why anyone would go there a second time.

Date of experience: June 2014
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I had stumbled on the Opera in Focus when I was researching for information about things to see and do after relocating to Lake County. I am not a opera connoisseur but enjoy puppetry and decided to pay a visit. I enjoyed the time spent, and especially so because of the backstage tour at the end of the show. If you visit their YouTube channel you can find a lot of material on how these puppets came about. It is fun to have an opportunity to meet the crew after the show. I would encourage people who don't really like opera to go with an open mind and without any expectations. You will enjoy the experience as a whole. Bring your camera, the backstage is offers a lot of opportunities. Cash is better, as the card swiping (Visa/Mastercard) is manual. Call in earlier to make sure the show has not been cancelled. The Park District often takes up the parking spots, or there aren't enough reservations.

Date of experience: September 2013