All reviews historic hotel one night next morning very cool place creature comforts unique experience would definitely stay here again a great place to stay courthouse lobby history square desk americana key suite jonas
Reviewed 5 July 2017

Look, like the one size fits all myth, this historic hotel isn't for everyone. For those that need handicapped accessible or are deterred by carrying their luggage up a staircase, this isn't the right fit. But, if you resist the cookie-cutter bland people boxes that dot the country, then this is right up your alley. Mini-splits in the rooms, modern mattresses and baths give us our creature comforts while each room decorated with it's own unique antiques and the antiques the decorate the hotel make for a feast for the eyes. The ability to walk to your dining location on the square harkens back to the intimacy of yesteryear. Add in my enjoyable chat with one of the owners (Jonas) the next morning and swap tales of repurposing old wood and it was just a nice stay. If I could convince Jonas to upgrade to mini-creamers rather than powdered in the breakfast room, It would make my morning coffee just right.

Room Tip: The rooms in back away from the street will exchange an interesting view for lack of street noise. Make your pick.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2017

My daughter and I stayed here one night and loved every moment. Check in was easy, the room beautiful, and the lobby amazingly quaint. Every corner was filled with tasteful collectibles and classic novels. We had a wonderful time walking around the square and then relaxing in the lobby. Indeed, even the hallways to the rooms were a charming place of comfort.

The room was incredibly clean (203) and really a perfect balance of classic and contemporary. The white bedding was chic, the updated bathroom pristine, and the decor was a collection of tasteful Americana, local history, mid-century cool, and country charm. Imagine tin ceilings, one brick wall with character and then freshly painted walls in a contemporary, yet classic color. Someone with a studied eye put everything together seamlessly!

The next morning, guests help themself to a fully stocked kitchen for a delicious continental breakfast. I felt like I was staying in a good friend's home and had been told to make myself comfortable. A positively unique experience in a hotel! The staff was nearby, but was not intrusive, which also was quite nice.

The hotel was easy to access just off the highway and the local restaurants all were excellent. I have been raving to all my friends.

This place is a gem!

Room Tip: third floor suite has the best view of the square. Room 203 is my fav!
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2017 via mobile

Who knew there was so much history in little Pittsfield, IL? The William Watson hotel is really a historic hotel, not a b&b. Our room was furnished in lovely antiques and faced the county courthouse. Living room, bedroom, bathroom and little alcove for a sink and refrigerator provided plenty of room. Downstairs there was a sweet, neighborly coffee house.
The front desk advised us that we might enjoy riding from one historic house in town to another because each house had a recording available by setting your radio dial to the number posted near the road in front of each home. Who knew that Lincoln had visited, eaten, or slept in so many Pittsfield homes. The history of John Hay was also interesting.
Great visit!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 January 2017

The William Watson Hotel is comfortable, charming, and has a delightful coffee shop next door for breakfast. We have stayed here a few times when we visit Mt. Sterling. Unfortunately we usually get to Pittsfield in the evening and leave first thing in the morning. I say, "unfortunately" because the William Watson is the kind of place where we would enjoy the atmosphere of the hotel longer. The last time we were there, we arrived after 9 p.m. and no one was at the front desk. But there were instructions for us and we felt at home. The only other time I've experienced that kind of small-town hospitality was in rural Maine. And the courthouse across the street is amazing architecture.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2016

Traveling across country as we do once or twice a year, we seek out places off the beaten path. Pittsfield is worth a detour --- not quite yet historic/touristy but the town seems to have committed itself to preservation. A more relaxing and easier stop than Springfield, just up the road. The star of Pittsfield is the William Watson Hotel, built in 1838. We had a room on the third floor (really the second) in the front facing the County courthouse. Spacious room, good bathroom and dog friendly.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple