All reviews her husband homemade shortbread warm welcome the blue room on arrival lovely wine fantastic home beautiful room little extras rural area lovely breakfast ulster fry following morning colonial room joyce murphy countryside
Reviewed 12 April 2018

The time I have sayed at Blackwell House will definitely be remembered for a brilliant host, Joyce. Was greeted by Murphy the dog after a hard days work was brilliant. The food served is top shelf, the only problem is I gained weight!
Stylish, friendly, well run establishment.

You will enjoy you stay I promise!

Room Tip: In the country, quiet, suites and bathrooms a good size
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Joyce B, Owner at Blackwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Dear J, Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. It is a delight to have you to stay while you work in Northern Ireland, I really enjoyed our chats over dinner every night and I am pleased you think of Blackwell House as your home in Ireland.

I look forward to seeing you again when you come to work in Ireland.

Warmest regards and best wishes,

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

Received a voucher some time ago to stay at this wee gem.. didn't know a lot about it apart from the (all) excellent reviews... Our host Joyce welcomed us almost as old friends (with freshly baked scones cream and homemade jams) the rest of our stay really just went so smoothly and the room (colonial) was so inviting we found it tough to leave...our evening meals were perfect as was our very fine breakfast .. Anyone looking to escape relax dine , couldn't pick a better place...Thanks again Joyce.def see you again.. Lawrence & Audrey Clarke..

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Joyce B, Owner at Blackwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Good Morning Lawrence and Audrey, thank you so much for taking the time to leave this lovely review.
It was a delight to have you to stay with us at Blackwell House. I am really pleased that you enjoyed evening in the Colonial Rom, we have redecorated it recently and I just love how the room feels now myself.
I am so passionate about our food and enjoyed cooking for you so I am absolutely delighted that you were pleased with your evening meal and our Blackwell House breakfast.

I really enjoyed our wee chat after dinner and look forward to the next time you come to see us.

Warm regards

Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

I am not a lover of guesthouses and very rarely choose to stay in them. However, Blackwell House looked interesting so we thought we would give it a try. We were a bit out of season so it wasn’t overly busy which suited us perfectly. The room we got was the room we booked, which isn’t always the case in hotels and it was lovely. Joyce who owns the guesthouse along with her husband was very friendly and welcoming. We ate in for evening meal and we were lucky enough to get private dining, I’m not a lover of communal dining. Joyce cooks the food herself and she is a fine cook. She treats her guests really well and there are little extras here and there which were a lovely touch. When we returned to our room the Best had been turned down, candles light and a couple of lovely wine glasses left beside the bottle of wine we had opened. It was lovely, felt a bit like being back on our honeymoon. I really recommend the place and in the better weather they have a beautiful patio area at the back.
Practicalities - I am an animal lover but not everyone is. The house is in a rural area so through necessity they have a couple of lovely cats and a very friendly dog. I recommend the eggs at breakfast they are the freshest and most organic you’ll get as they have their own chickens. They go out of their way to support local businesses and purchase all their high quality food stuffs locally. If you are travelling alone this would be an ideal place to stay as Joyce will make you feel very welcome. Couples will also enjoy the laid back atmosphere and chill out.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind words Lynda, I really appreciate your taking the time to write this review.

I really enjoy cooking (I come from a family background where my Mum Grandmother and Aunts were all great cooks so it is in my blood) so I am delighted that you enjoyed your evening meal.

I love that we were able to do a few things to make your stay that little bit more special as it is important to us that you are comfortable and feel totally at home.
When Steve and I are staying away we like to go to a place where we feel very welcome and 'looked after' but able to get away from the crowds. So we want our guests to have the same feeling when they come to stay with us.

It was lovely meeting you and if ever you are passing by this way again do come to stay.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 29 January 2018

Had a fantastic stay at Blackwell House!
Hosts Joyce and Steve (and Murphy ofcourse) were brilliant hosts and made us feel very welcome! We were treated to a lovely breakfast. Can't speak highly enough of the hospitality provided and we'll definitely be back. Thanks very much.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChristopherSnoddy

Hi Christopher,

Thank you so much for choosing to come and stay with us at Blackwell House.

I am so pleased you felt welcome, Murphy is as you know an expert at welcoming guests and keeping them entertained, all we can do is learn from him!

We would love to see you again if you are coming this direction.

Warm regards

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Had the opportunity to visit friends in Carva and stayed again at Blackwell House. We even asked for the Blue Room again - very nice room overlooking open countryside.
The place is absolutely stunning and was as good if not better that our last visit. The garden area has been landscaped with lots of features and very relaxing to watch the evening sun.
Food drink rooms and hospitality first class. The little touches also add to the experience - home made shortbread biscuits in the room and Irish home baked bread and eggs from the chickens!

Room Tip: All rooms are designed to be individual and all are to a very high standard of decoration
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends