“FINALLY”

Add it.
El Zarape Mexican Food
Ranked #185 of 420 Restaurants in Peoria
Reviewed 3 October 2017

Most disagree with me, but in my opinion 99% of the Mexican Restaurants in the Peoria area are NOT my cup of tea. As someone who doesn't eat meat, it shouldn't be hard to make a cheese enchilada for example, but I have had many restaurants prove me wrong. FINALLY, I have discovered a WINNER. El Zarape not only had pretty authentic food for my mom and I, but my enchiladas were fantastic. Great taste, real cheese, and sauce that didn't taste like a cinnamon stick. The beans and rice were yummy as well. My mom enjoyed her Carne Asada as well. The beer selection works for me and the cost is very do-able.

Reviewed 17 April 2017

We had heard that El Zarape was a great hole in the wall authentic Mexican restaurant. Part of that may be true, but the food is far from great. We had tacos that included completely plain meat and tasteless. We also ordered margaritas, but the waitress didn't know how to make them.

Reviewed 21 February 2017 via mobile

We love the food, the owners, everything about this place. Order the guacamole. Very fresh, always just a little different depending on who's in the kitchen, but we've yet to not clean the plate. My husband gets the huevos ranchero. It's always perfect. I fill up on flour tacos Mexican style.

Reviewed 15 September 2016 via mobile

Had the beef Taco deal that consisted of a soda, and 2 Tacos for $1.50. Taco shells are made with the preformed store bought shells, small amount of meat, lettuce, tomato and cheese. They give free chips and salsa. I go there from time to time

Reviewed 22 February 2016

We have so few decent restaurants in Peoria and I really wanted this to be a good place to visit regularly, but no such luck. There was only 1 waitress for the entire restaurant. Drink refills only happened on request. We had an appetizer, the Nachos. They were barely warm, with grizzly steak that tasted like it may have been deep fried. The chips were room temp. The plate came with 2 forks and no side plates. We had to ask for plates, there were 4 of us and received only 3. Then we had to ask for silverware and were asked how many, as if one per person wasn't expected.

Following the appetizer we waited about 40 minutes for our entrees. At one point, from the cash register the waitress asked if we needed anything. We said our food! She said since some of us had steak in entrees, the cook had to prepare steak. Really, you don't prep the food prior to a meal?

When our entrees arrived, they weren't hot, more upper end of warm, but the bell from the kitchen had rung several minutes before the food was brought out. Flavor was very average, nothing outstanding. The steak that was supposedly prepared fresh had a lot of grizzle. The salsa served with the chips was very mild, like ketchup mild. Soft drinks and water were not served with ice and I had to walk to the register to get our check and pay our ticket, she never came with the check to our table.

Sorry, but we won't be back.

Been to El Zarape Mexican Food? Share your experiences!