“An absolute waste of my money”

Extended Stay America - Peoria - North
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Peoria
Reviewed 31 January 2016

I found a 64% off deal for this hotel on Hotwire so jumped at the chance to save on a "good" (reviews) hotel in the Peoria, IL area. Boy did I make a mistake. First, though, I have to give props to the staff. Just about everyone I met there--from the likable young woman at the front desk (30 January 2016) to the various housekeeping staff--was polite and kindly, willing to help me find my way around or to get kitchen utensils for my room. And the hotel is just off the highway, so it's easy to get to. But it's set back off the main road, so highway noise isn't an issue. That's where the positives end.

This is VERY MUCH a budget hotel, and I cannot justify spending more than the $50 I paid for the night. And even that, for what I experienced, was way too much. Not only is the kitchen not stocked with the basics--cup, plate, spoon/fork/knife, anything you'd need to eat there, but even though the staff is happy to get utensils for you, let's just say the presentation is unsanitary. Take your own, is my advice.

The room was dark and outdated. More than half the outlets didn't work (laptop, cell phone...). The lights were so dim that even with multiple lights on the fluorescent aura was dark and depressing. No napkins or anything other than a single tiny bottles of shampoo and two tiny bars of soap--all left unopened, thank you.

But by FAR the worst aspect of my single night there was the noise from other guests. I couldn't fall asleep easily, and slept extremely fitfully once I did, because the footsteps from the guest above kept me up all night. I'm not a particularly light sleeper, having grown up in the city. But the hotel's acoustics would suffice for the local symphonic orchestra. God, I was up and ready to leave by 5AM from the THUD-THUD-THUD ... THUD-THUD-THUD from the, um, guests above me. It's not worth it to me to save on a place to SLEEP if you cannot even sleep there.

I travel a lot. And I have NEVER found a budget motel/hotel anywhere that's worth what I paid for it. Going forward I'll spend a lot more cash in hopes of renting something peaceful.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room in a "quiet" location. Take your own cutlery.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Pleasant2007
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Peoria - North, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2016

The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. I do appreciate your kind words about our staff; however I am so disappointed that your stay was unsatisfactory. Please accept my apology. In response to your feedback, I am having our maintenance engineer inspect your entire room to ensure that everything meets our company’s high standards. Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. I invite you to contact me, at pen@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed 30 December 2015

I bid on Priceline, didn't know what I would end up with, .ended up being nice clean cheap hotel. nice location, lots of shopping and restaurants very close....quiet building and staff was helpful and nice.

Room Tip: Nice safe location around many restaurants and shopping
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Peoria - North, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2016

Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I truly appreciate your kind comments regarding our convenient location, friendly staff and reasonable rates. I’m thrilled we were able to provide you with a home away from home experience! Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.

Reviewed 2 December 2015

They state that Housekeeping comes in only once per week. They do not mean once during your stay, they literally mean once a week. I could not tell you what day that is because I was there from a Mon-Fri and never saw housekeeping once.

When I got my dishes from the front desk, the cooking utensils and pots were dirty and had to boil water on the stove to clean them with.

Bathroom smelled like an alley because urine was in my toilet for God only knows how many days!! There were also pubic hairs in the shower, on the floor, on the wall, everywhere as if the housekeeper simply said forget this room.

Wood laminate floor was dirty and un-mopped, debris was on the floor and there were some kind of scratches on it as well.

Hotel is not a bad hotel, it is in a great location, front desk staff was nice and relatively helpful, but the Housekeeping department is a joke!!! If you stay here, BRING DISINFECTANT and plan to clean yourself if you want to stay in clean accomodations!!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Peoria - North, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2015

I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. Your comments in regards to our front desk staff are much appreciated; yet, I was disheartened to read that our housekeeping standards were not met and I would like to sincerely apologize. I met with the staff, and we will be double checking all rooms to ensure that this is not repeated. Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at pen2@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 7 November 2015 via mobile

We visit Peoria monthly and our regular hotel was full so we tried the Extended Stay. I booked at this hotel directly through their website several days in advance. My confirmation very clearly said, "non smoking." Upon arrival, though... the clerk said he had us in a smoking queen and there were no non smoking rooms available. He said they were very busy and the rooms had been pre assigned. The room smelled TERRIBLE. The smell actually woke me up a few times.

The hotel itself was ok, in a good location, and, had we not been given a stinky smoking room, we'd probably stay here again.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Peoria - North, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2015

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We appreciate the kind comments about our hotel; however, we apologize that only smoking rooms were available. To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, we are reviewing ways to better handle third party bookings when we are at capacity. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly, at pen2@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 4 October 2015

When you book on Hotwire you get what you get. The rate was good but they put me in a smoking room "because you booked on Hotwire". Extended Stay really needs to get with the program and STOP having smoking rooms. The smell was gross. Other then that it was fine. Didn't try the breakfast. Also the "free" wifi was terrible.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Peoria - North, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2015

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize that a nonsmoking room was not available upon your arrival. To uphold our company's high standards, we will closely monitor our room inventory moving forward. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at pen2@extendedstay.com. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.