“Cafe not outstanding but it's all about the books”

Book Barn International
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Hallatrow
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We were a little unfair - end of a rainy Good Friday and not much left in the cafe! Notices say that they are also about to do the cafe up and I am sure things will improve. The average rating is because, despite there being 3 people working in the cafe and the rush of customers having died down, they took ages first to take our order and then to bring it to us. I'm not a complainer, honestly, but they seemed unhurried and how long does it take to get 2 hot drinks and plate up 2 bits of cake? The sitting area was cosy and the book barn, well, you could spend many happy hours nosing around there! Bit on the chilly side (it is a big barn!) so dress warm. I'm sure we will go back again soon (£1 a book!) but may not bother with the tea.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Great atmosphere and very friendly staff! Would recommend to everyone. I found a really good book that I was looking for ages!

Reviewed 28 January 2018

Went there with my wife & daughter on Saturday 28th of Jan 2018, nice selection of tables ideal for a small family to a large family which is always good, nice selection of Hot Drinks aswell as cold. Food is more aimed at vegans & vegetarians than people who arent.

The only thing that was a disappointment was that if like several people did and you were just 2 people you would sit on a table for 6-8 people making it somewhat diffcuit for larger families to sit together, also If and it suggests that you are welcome to sit down read a book or too and just have a drink, which is great for the place but not so good if you have planned to arrive with so many people and unable to sit down.

Also a good place to eat if you like gluten free items.

Would we visit again yes for a hot drink but not for a meal.

Plenty of free parking and free Wifi

1  Thank Paul R
Reviewed 15 December 2017

I met a friend here for coffee/tea and a chat here today. The place was wonderful with many wonderful staff. However, as I had driven from near Portsmouth to Somerset, so I had left at 6.45am and arrived just before they opened at 10am, I was waiting for my friend at the door. A wonderful man saw me getting cold and said to come in- all the other staff had arrived and walked past me. This one member of staff was great. I asked him if I could use the loo while I waited (it had been a long morning!!) and he said of course and pointed out the way to me. Sadly, one of the two members of staff behind the café counter, who were starting to get it all ready this morning (15/12 and she had pierced nose and +++ ear piercings so the manager can see who it was), shouted at me that I should not be in the store yet. The young man with her looked a bit embarrassed- it was only 5 minutes early! The lovely male member of staff who had let me in came over and told her that it was fine and so I was able to stay. She didn’t apologise.
My friend arrived and we had two pots of tea, 2 hot chocolates and 2 pieces of cake between us. If it had not been for this one member of staff being so rude, I would have given it 5*. I will try and return, but I hope the manager realises that she needs to find alternative employment that does not involve contact with the members of public who provide her salary!! The gentleman deserves a pay increase!

3  Thank Peggy j
Reviewed 30 October 2017

They advertise over a million books and this you will think is probably true, when you see rack apon rack, some 12' high, of books disappearing into the distance.

It is possible to spend hours in here just browsing the titles of mostly second hand books. For the most part are incredibly inexpensive - thousands go out at a £1 apiece. You coul buy yourslf over a years worth of reading for the cost of a new paperback.

One area, The Darwin Room contains rare, first edition and antique examples. These cost a bit more.

There is a well found cafe attached - veggie only though, don't ask for a bacon butty.