“Great food and atmosphere”

J Alexander's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
J Alexander's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 91 Restaurants in Oak Brook
Price range: US$0 - US$18
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: (just East of) IL 83
Description: J. Alexander’s is a contemporary American restaurant, known for its wood-fired cuisine. Our core philosophy is to provide you with the highest possible quality dining experience. The menu features a wide selection of American classics including prime rib of beef, steaks, fresh seafood, sandwiches and entrée salads. The menu in each restaurant includes a varied and rotating selection of features like Seafood Czarina, Tuscan Steak, Grilled Fish with Mango Papaya Salsa and Chicken Milanese. The restaurant has a full-service bar that includes an outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

This is a go to place for us. The food and service are great. Haven’t had anything I didn’t like. Great steaks and prime rib. The chicken strips are incredible, only place I eat them. Burgers, ribs , chicken, fish they make it all.

Reviewed 18 February 2018

Went for lunch with two clients for lunch. Not noisy - our conversation was very easy to have. Service was wonderful and timely, meals were quite tasty.

Easy choice - I'd come here again!

Reviewed 25 January 2018

It had been some time since my last visit to J. Alexander’s. They are not known for their vegetarian options and it usually doesn’t rank high on my “to go” list. In this case, I was taking my uncle out for a nice dinner with friends. I gave him three options and he picked J. Alexander’s. Good choice.

We had a 515pm RSVP and the place was already packed on an early Saturday evening. Despite how busy they were, the service was timely and well-paced. Our server was spot on. He helped maximize the experience. We started with a few cocktails, their twist on a few classics. Both bourbon based. Quite good. The Capone and the Knickerbocker.

We moved on to a bottle of Chenin Blanc which went well with the apps. We had the grilled artichoke and the deviled eggs. I am not a huge fan of grilled artichoke as it is a lot of work with little reward!!! The sauce that came with it was good. The deviled eggs were quite tasty with the bacon on top.

We then went to a bottle of a Malbec blend which complimented the mains. My uncle got the steak and frites which he loved. I had the veg burger which was well executed. In-house veg burgers can be hit or miss. It is a huge portion size for sure. I got a side of their blue cheese slaw which was quite tasty and I put some on the burger.

We skipped dessert as we had some at home. Net…excellent night. Worth the nearly $200 tab. I would go back.

1  Thank allenr589
Reviewed 19 January 2018 via mobile

My wife, two daughters, and myself dined here this past Saturday to celebrate my wife's birthday. My wife and I have been here before and enjoyed it then, and we wanted to share this dining experience with our girls. My youngest daughter is very picky about the restaurants we visit, so we hoped she would enjoy this one. In the spirit of full disclosure, we have probably spoiled both our girls and now they have taste that is a little too discriminating for young teenagers. Thankfully, we all enjoyed this restaurant tremendously. I highly recommend a reservation on weekend nights, as the place was very busy when we arrived for our reservation. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful. All of our dishes were extremely tasty and perfectly prepared. My wife and eldest daughter both ordered the Hawaiian steak. I ordered the New York strip medium, with the Mac n Cheese. I originally wanted a baked potato, but our waiter recommended the oven baked mac n cheese, and he was right. I was not disappointed.

To me the menu length is perfect. Sometimes restaurants have too many offerings, leaving me to believe that almost nothing is being prepared freshly in the kitchen. This restaurant is great for a romantic night out or a nicer family dining experience.

P.S. Get the chocolate cake! Is is fantastic. One can be shared by at least two people.

Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

once you get in. Getting in, however, can sometimes be a problem, even if you have a reservation. If you don’t have a reservation and it’s a Friday or Saturday night, you might consider going somewhere else, because you’ll be waiting a LONG time. Also, some of the hostesses have a tendency to get a little “snippy” on occasion but like I said, once you get by the hostess stand, things generally are pretty good. Do be careful walking to your table or booth as it is VERY dark inside the restaurant. The servers are usually friendly and efficient....and the food is above average and served in big portions. One thing I would really like to see are some occasional changes/additions to the menu. It’s been pretty close to the same thing for 20 years......a few new items would be great. Some of my favorite items are the grilled artichokes, Alex’s salad (one of the best around Oakbrook), Steak N Fries and prime rib (really good). Actually, all the steaks are pretty tasty and always prepared to your liking over a wood fired grill located in the front of the restaurant. On the other side of the coin, I’m not a big fan of the calamari (usually soggy) or the fish tacos (where’s the fish)? This restaurant has a lively bar with great bar tenders and the drinks tend to be on the large side. In fact, many of the cocktails come with a sidecar containing nearly another drink. The wine list contains a wide variety of labels and price points and the pours are generous. In closing, I would have to say that I’ve never had a bad meal here.......however, prices continue to rise and the gap between this restaurant and the top tier locations continues to shrink. We will continue to dine here, just not as often as we did in the old days.