“Want an authentic Greek Gyro?”

Charcoal Flame Grill
Ranked #21 of 62 Restaurants in Morton Grove
Reviewed 8 February 2017

I moderate an English Conversation hour for people wanting to work on their English and one of the attendees is newly arrived from Greece. We talked about food and I asked him, as I often do, where the best food is that represents their countries. He said that he doesn't eat out much, since he cooks Greek, but when he does, he goes for an authentic gyro and he goes here. We were not disappointed. We had the choice of an 'American' or a Greek gyro. The Greek one is made from pork belly (as opposed to the usual gyro which is a mixture of beef and lamb). We went Greek and I have to say that Alex was right, this is one heck of a good gyro! For just over twenty dollars, we had two delicious gyros, salad, drinks, and potatoes. The pita was amazing. We are going back! This place does not look like anything special, but the food they served IS!

Reviewed 29 November 2016

This is your typical Greek fast food restaurant. Service at the counter can be uneven. We usually get Greek style chicken but today we tried the rib tips. Good but fatty. The Greek potatoes are excellent. My garlic bread came with a piece missing. I compared it to someone taking a bite.

Reviewed 17 September 2016

When Charcoal Flame moved in, I was sure it was doomed. NOTHING has survived occupying this building! I am delighted to say I think this one is here to stay. While the restaurant is unassuming, the food could easily be served in a more upscale setting and nobody would bat an eye. Freshly prepared, delicious and reasonably priced with large portions. The spanikopita is FANTASTIC but hard to come by as they only seem to make it for weekend dinner time and it sells out quickly. Good egg lemon soup,too. The Greek gyros are delicious and not your standard gyros found on every corner. When ordering, be sure to specify Greek gyros rather than American gyros. My husband once tried a stuffed pork tenderloin they had as a special and said it was better than most fancy restaurant fare he has eaten though it hasn't appeared on the menu again when we have been there. He has given the lamb similar praise. Even the tzaztiki is exceptionally good. I do think they are missing out on some business by not having a shake or soft serve machine as I am sure they would be frequented by the teens and families playing at the park district virtually in their backyard. Don't let the unassuming exterior of this place make you miss out on this gem!