“Korean BBQ at it's best”
Review of San Soo Kab San

San Soo Kab San
Ranked #21 of 69 Restaurants in Morton Grove
Reviewed 12 March 2018

The menu is straightforward and interesting even if you don't understand Korean. We chose a set menu with all the accoutrements and our choice of beef/meat for the grill. This included more than 10 different mini kimchi,radish and other appetizers including crispy seaweed as well as a spicy miso soup, white rice, seafood pancake, chapchae. I chose the kalbi and my husband the bul go gi. The flavors were authentic. Korean food is sweetish but with spicy sides that make up the meal. A bit pricey but worth the amount of food served. BTW, only for those if you enjoy cooking your own meats with patience .

Reviewed 25 January 2018

So, it was our first time here, and we were pretty pleased with our decision. We had no clue as to what we were doing or ordering, but everything did come our pretty well! Our server had a lot of patience, but the language barrier was a slight issue. She didn't really understand what we were saying, nor did we understand what she was saying either. We overcooked our steak slightly, but learned from our mistakes with the chicken. The side dishes were off the hook, but I guess that is how it is with a Korean restaurant. Overall, the place was clean, and the food was great!

Reviewed 18 November 2017

The decor is very nice, private rooms for parties 8 and over. They were decorated with Asian paintings of birds and flowers. Clean and well lit. We didn't order bbq beef. We were a party of 4, with 1 appetizer and 4 meals, $70 including taxes and tip. Food quality and quantity was good, the variety of homemade pickled vegetables was tasty, the best was the seafood squid egg pancake appetizer. Service was poor. My kids, 10 and 12, drink tea and when they asked for a refill, the waitress just slopped their cups with more tea without a look. They both burned their mouths on the tea. I thought that was so poorly done. Really, she could have made even an eye contact so we would've been prepared. I felt so badly about this avoidable situation. My friend asked for noodles instead of rice to go with her stew and the waitress just said no, she can't. She wanted to ask for noodles on the side, but the waitress had already turned and left. For a restaurant looking this nice, menu selection, price, service staff dressed nicely, I really didn't think the service would be so embarrassingly inadequate. In this area, it is relatively easy to find another Korean restaurant with similar decor, menu selection, and price, but with much better service, so I wouldn't go back.

Reviewed 4 July 2017

We were looking for family style restaurant and felt Korean table top BBQ will be good for the day for lunch. We have been to San Soo Kab San many times in past years, we had stopped for a while, and decided to give it a try it again. We were seated right away after we arrived as it is a holiday and is during late lunch hours. The chairs were old and needed to be changed. The menu items and selections were good and we ordered what we had intended to order to eat. Food items were prepared decently and came in due time. The Pork Belly meat dish, one of the dish items we ordered, supposedly came raw for table top cooking, but ours seems it was partially cooked already. Waitress were rotating as none were assigned to a table. Korean BBQ style restaurant offered lots of small side dishes and food items ordered for table top cooking can be cooked by the waitresses or by self/guests. We tried to cook on our own table top and only once the waitress came by to change our used cook top, and they did not offered to help to cook nor cooked for us. We asked 2 different waitress to refill some side dishes, they said to wait and they tend to other tables needed immediate attentions, but did not return to ours with our requests. We decided to pay almost close to 10% gratitude for the bill only. Still debating a return trip is warranted, since there are numerous Korean table top BBQ restaurant in the area to choose from for dinning need and experience.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

I had been here twice now. The first time was with a friend who recommended the place. Another friend complained that we are going to a strip mall restaurant but she quickly quieted down as soon as we got the food. It is GOOD!
The second time around, it was my turn recommending. We all opted for the set dish Option A. If you have five or more people, I would recommend this especially if it is your first time eating or unfamiliar with Korean food. They basically give you appetizers with the main course. You each pick a meat. I would highly recommend bulgogi and pork belly. We ordered steak which is good but if you want steak, go to a steak restaurant. For Korean place, focus on Korean-marinated meat.
Tip: If you are in a group, make sure everyone is there. They will not seat you until everyone arrives.