“Don't be fooled by the restaurant's look”
Review of San Soo Kab San

San Soo Kab San
Ranked #27 of 69 Restaurants in Morton Grove
Reviewed 11 April 2017

I had been here twice now. The first time was with a friend who recommended the place. Another friend complained that we are going to a strip mall restaurant but she quickly quieted down as soon as we got the food. It is GOOD!
The second time around, it was my turn recommending. We all opted for the set dish Option A. If you have five or more people, I would recommend this especially if it is your first time eating or unfamiliar with Korean food. They basically give you appetizers with the main course. You each pick a meat. I would highly recommend bulgogi and pork belly. We ordered steak which is good but if you want steak, go to a steak restaurant. For Korean place, focus on Korean-marinated meat.
Tip: If you are in a group, make sure everyone is there. They will not seat you until everyone arrives.

Date of visit: March 2017

Reviewed 8 August 2016

I came here for lunch with my staff at the suggestion of a Korean student. The restaurant looks much smaller from the outside. The inside is the size of a banquet hall. There is ample seating for the lunch crowd. It specializes in Korean barbecue but has other classic Korean food. The had lunch specials as well. I had ordered a shaved beef lunch with soap and sides of various Korean preparations. The food was generally good and everyone appeared satisfied with their meals. I was the last to be served as they gave my plate to another table. The service was mediocre. Our server never came back to check to make sure everyone was served. Most of the wait staff which seemed mostly male had this stern look on their face. Most did not seem happy and I think influenced how I felt. Several times we had to get up and ask another server for utensils. They had no knives when we asked, so they unapologetically gave us a scissors. The clientele was mostly Koreans. We were a minority. I think it is a good place to eat, with a great variety, and the prices were reasonable but I think the wait staff needs to improve their demeanor to make it more appealing. By the way this is different than other Korean restaurants that I had patronized.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

I've been here plenty of times and it's always hit or miss. Unfortunately because I am not Korean and don't speak it there is a lot of miscommunication between the staff. I went with family for my birthday last night and ordered pot stickers, bulgogi (beef) and galbi( short rib). They brought us unmarinated bulgogi which was tasteless but we tried to get his attention but he just placed it on the grill anyway. The galbi was delicious though (photo)They also did not come back to our table to check on is until we flagged them down. But the food was plentiful and other times I've had great service. Try to be direct as possible and know what you're ordering because they don't necessarily have descriptions of the food.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 29 August 2015 via mobile

It's a Korean restaurant first and some staff speaks English. Bring someone Korean if you can ;-) you cook your food at the table and the ingredients are all top quality beef and seafood.

Date of visit: August 2015
Reviewed 1 July 2015

Very Korean BBQ restaurant. Extensive menue and good Korean service. A great place if you favor Korean food. Service was prompt and courteous but the carts and central island give the place the cafeteria atmosphere so common in Asian restaurant.

Date of visit: June 2015