“Average Food, decent atmosphere, good service with nice bar”
Review of Jimmy's Charhouse

Jimmy's Charhouse
Ranked #11 of 103 Restaurants in Libertyville
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 January 2017

The steaks here have always been ok. Nothing special. I think they could do better with the sourcing of their beef. The steaks that I buy at Sunset Foods and grill at home are so much than what I get at Jimmy's. There not really high priced here, but I would gladly pay more for a better steak.

Date of visit: December 2016

Reviewed 15 January 2017

1/12/17, we had 13 people there several who ordered Guinness beers in honor of a departed member of the group. The bartender(s) seriously need some instruction on how to pour a Guinness draft beer. Since I know a former Guinness representative I am sure that if asked they would be happy to instruct. Jimmy's should be embarrassed by the presentation. We sent one back and the return looked no different than the original. Our waiter was very nice so we did not further hassle him.

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 7 January 2017

We ventured out on a cold night for a family dinner. When we arrived, there was complimentary valet parking !! We were seated immediately near the fireplace and soon our server Leonard was greeting us. He was friendly, professional and knowledgeable of the menu items and offered good recommendations. We took his suggestions for an appetizer (flat bread pizza & calamari) to enjoy with our drinks. Both were served quickly and hot. Our dinner selections were varied, but favored Jimmy's specials. The chicken was perfectly cooked as were the ribs. The portions are huge and allow for take home. Leonard was quick to check for drink refills and made sure we had take home boxes. I suggest you call for reservations as the restaurant is always busy.

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 24 December 2016

I took my family to Jimmy's Charhouse for lunch. When the waiter came by to ask for drinks, I told him I would have one, but not yet because I didn't know what I was going to eat. My son told him the same. My wife ordered a soft drink. After reviewing the menu and the specials, we ordered our food. I ordered the crab cake sandwich which came with clam chowder. The food was delivered relatively quickly and we began to eat. I had to remind our waiter that two of us were still waiting for him to take our drink order - two bloody marys. He brought them, and we both thought the drink had a strange taste to is. When almost half-way through our meals, I got the attention of the waiter as he passed our table and told him I'm still waiting for my clam chowder. He mumbled something and went to get it. When that was delivered, I tasted it. I asked my wife to taste it. We both love clam chowder, and we both agreed that this was the worst clam chowder we've ever tasted. It was watered down and had no clam flavor at all - pretty much flour and water and some potatoes, carrots and celery. My wife said it tasted like a typical soup in grade school. When it looked like we finished our meal, the waiter came by and asked if we wanted any desserts. We said no and he noticed the soup was basically untouched. I told him it wasn't good enough to eat. He said he gets a lot of compliments on it and left the check. I put a credit card in the folder. He picked it up and went to run the bill. Normally, I would expect a manager to stop by after a food complaint, but none did so. On our way out, I stopped at the front desk and spoke to what appeared to be two managers explaining that the soup was not good. They were surprised that they hadn't heard from the waiter (as was I) and offered some dessert to go. I declined and said I just wanted them to know. I never mentioned that the waiter forgot to take a drink order. Was the restaurant too busy? No - barely half full. It was simply the wrong day with the wrong waiter and the wrong soup.

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed 27 November 2016

From the bar staff, host stand, to our server, the service was terrific on a busy Saturday night.

Grecian style lamb chops were very good.

My special of beef short ribs with a vegetable "gravy" over mashed potatoes was also good.

I can't put my finger on why but the food while good, just doesn't seem to hit the high notes, isn't a 10 out of 10 rating. Very good, but missing the top marks.

We did notice that in the bar on Mondays, there is a free pig roast served if one orders a drink, seemed like quite the deal so we will try one of these days.

Date of visit: November 2016