See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My husband and I were in Harrisburg for a job interview and wanted to be in the middle of everything, but the options are sparse in this area. Given the choice between the two very low-budget chains near the highway and the B&B in the center of town, we chose the B&B. This is our first excursion into the B&B world, so I am a bit naïve, but based on TripAdvisor reviews of other B&Bs, I understand that some are very well run while others are nothing more than rented rooms in private homes.

We arrived in the dark, around 9:00 on Friday night. The photo on the Lafayette Inn's website does not do the place justice, which I would consider a good thing. We were lucky enough to be the only guests that night, so if there were other visitors, we might have had a different experience (interacting with other guests, the noises that old houses make, etc). The property holds twin mansions and a carriage house. Each room has its own private bathroom. The house itself is gorgeous, and if I owned a mansion, I would want it to have this floor plan. The property definitely could use some updating... ceiling repairs from an old (now fixed) roof leak, wallpaper removal/replacement, new carpet, some décor changes... but behind the outdated art-deco style is a beautiful old mansion with a lot of the original elements and fixtures. And this is a B&B in a small town in rural southern Illinois, so I can't imagine that they're rolling in cash.

The proprietor, Amy, was wonderful. She prepared breakfast for us on Saturday morning and gave us recommendations for sightseeing around town (also gave me a tour of the other house while my husband was at his interview). And because the place wasn't packed for the weekend, she was very flexible about our check-out time, which we appreciated while bumming around town on a 90-degree day (don't want all my stuff baking in the car).

It's not a fancy property, it needs a little attention from a decent handy man, the floors are creaky, but the hospitality was very personal, breakfast was better than "continental," and it's worth the stay to hang out in a beautiful old mansion.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Master King 204. It is the Master Bedroom, includes a changing room between the bedroom and bathroom, and has a decorative (not in service) fireplace in the bedroom.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Alison O
Reviewed 7 October 2012 via mobile

It is wonderful to have this place to stay, in an area where there is nothing available. It is a beautiful old mansion with history and elegance of bygone years reflected in the marble, carved walnut staircases and stained glass windows. The innkeeper, Amy, is absolutely delightful and hard working. The owners, Hise brothers, of the now named, The Lafayette Inn, really need to put some money into this lovely place which is looking faded and shabby. Decent sheets and towels would make a big difference! A little training on B & B breakfast. We always use B & B's in U.S. and Europe, this comment comes with some knowledge. Makes me wonder if the owners ever visit?

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Sam933
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We really liked this B&B until the innkeeper who was supposed to provide us breakfast did not show up in the morning. We were left on our own, and could have made off with whatever we decided to take! We rooted around in the kitchen and found cold cereal to eat. Had to leave the key in the door of our room since there was not a soul to give it to. Disappointing!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple