“Yummy food, but its too cold in there!!”

The Chocolate Sanctuary
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chocolate Sanctuary is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 151 Restaurants in Gurnee
Price range: US$10 - US$32
Description: Full service restaurant and lounge
Description: Full service restaurant and lounge
Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

I have eaten here several times with family and friends. The $11 lunch special is fantanstic- soup or salad, 1/2 sandwich and side and one of their delicious chocolates! What a deal!! But the food is always cold because it is freezing in there. I have also visited for dinner- also freezing. The atmosphere, service and food is excellent, but bring a sweater, for sure. Your first sip of soup is always cold and it shouldn't be! They would be 5 star if they could get the temperature right.

Reviewed 17 August 2018

Our 5 or 6th time eating here. This place is special and looks like a high-end restaurant in a sleepy part of the city. They are attentive and do try hard. Salad was excellent as were both of the soup specials. We had both because the waiter brought the wrong one to us and left it as he brought on the split pea special. Both were rich and creamy.
The pork chop is my favorite. I order this every time I eat here. Usually, it is about a 12 ounce or so thick chop. this time it was about half as thick as normal. My spouse also ordered the chop and it was noticeably smaller. I ordered cafe Americana and it came properly addressed. The waiter was fair but not great. We had reservations but one guy (the waiter could not find it but another person did find it. I will return and order the same thing in the hopes that this was just an off night.
This is still a local favorite so I will give them another chance.

Reviewed 13 August 2018

The chef uses subtle touches of cocoa on everything and everything is great. The chocolate chocolate chip rolls with chocolate butter (yes) were wonderful. 3 of us split a large sanctuary salad and we each ended up with ample house-size salads. The salad had many ingredients including bacon bits dusted with cocoa and a vinigarertte dressing with a touch of cocoa. I had hanger steak that was tender and delicious. The sauce had a touch of cocoa. It was accompanied by wonderful whipped potatoes and vegetables. My sister had pork fillets - melted in her mouth - with parmesan coated potatoes and vegetables. My brother-in-law had a delightful pasta with shredded short rib beef and vegetables with a touch of cocoa. Our dessert was a multi-level chocolate and carmel and mousse confection over misting dry ice. Amazing! Everything was deliciouse. They also had hamburgers, fish, and a kids' menu.

Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

We have eaten here before, and always make it a point to eat here when we are in the area. We have always gone to Sunday brunch, so that's all I can comment on. They start you at an omelette station, everything fresh. Then on to the meat carving station - usually 2 or 3 choices. They also have bacon, sausage, Eggs Benedict, and other breakfast choices. Next is the waffle on a stick station. You can have your waffle with a wide variety of toppings, too many to mention. Next, you can get some fresh fruit. Lastly, a big table with LOTS of dessert choices. After all, it is The Chocolate Sanctuary. If my blood sugar could take, I would just go to that table! They even give you a cup of chocolate chips to put in toy coffee. Nice atmosphere. Mid range prices.

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

CS goes above and beyond with service and accommodations for parties and dinner. Their flavors are decadent and creative. A must try!