“Bibimbap”

So Gong Dong Tofu & BBQ
Ranked #19 of 174 Restaurants in Glenview
Reviewed 3 November 2016 via mobile

Finally had a chance to try bibimbap. Wow! Super good food - excellent flavors.

Only wish I had this place in my town.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

The biggest tip is to arrive before noon because this place gets crazy busy and the line can go out the door (it's still crazy busy at 1:30!). I like the variety of soups---you can have pork, beef, seafood, veggies & tofu and you can choose the levels of spicy-ness, too. The servers are very attentive and they refill your little dishes without you having to request it. I like the decor and the food has always been consistently delicious.

Reviewed 28 September 2016

Had hot soup on a hot day; along with other diners, we mopped our perspiring faces with paper napkins and enjoyed. I watched experienced diners for cues on adding my raw egg to cook in boiling red broth that was served. Broke it into separate snall bowl and slid it gently into bubbling broth, spooning soup over it, I poached it to my liking.

Tofu, and not the minimal amount of beef in soup, was main ingredient. I'm no bean curd expert, but I probably should have been braver and asked for spicier broth and maybe seafood for my protein. Tofu could have absorbed more vivid ingredients well. I got more flavor by adding marinade or sauce from some of the side dishes.

Unlike my 2014 visit, I skipped BBQ. Banchan side dishes were not as good as I remember. Triangle cut veg (turnip?) and small rectangles (radish?) were bland. Rounds of cucumber in red hot sauce were outstanding. Barley tea added to crisped bottom rice bowl: traditional, but I found it blah. Next visit I'd go for a noodle choice instead.

Service during a Friday late lunch was prompt and the restaurant had no wait.

Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

Good food and nice price, too. The servers were very helpful and kind. Sometimes, you have to wait in a long line, but it is definitely worth it. I would recommend to all my friends.

Reviewed 25 August 2016

We have never tried Korean food and thought we'd try it. We were the only non-Asian customers in the entire restaurant so I am thinking that this indicates authentic? In any event, the wait staff all spoke English to some degree and were very helpful in helping us decide what to order. We both had the bibimbap and it was very good. You can choose different proteins for this dish so it would appeal to many. Besides the protein, you can get lots of veggies on a bed of rice...served in a SUPER hot dish that gets the rice at the bottom crispy to add texture. The condiments served on the side were varied. Some we loved, some didn't appeal to our tastes, but other people around us were gobbling them down. I especially liked the cucumbers in a chili sauce. Just enough heat for me and tasted like they may have been a little pickled also. The only disappointment was the soup. It was a little bland for my taste. Service was attentive. I would surely visit this place again if we ever find ourselves in this part of the metro area.