“Filet was outstanding, PLEASE REMODEL/UPDATE DINING ROOM>>>PLEASE!!!”
Review of Golden Steer

Golden Steer
Ranked #3 of 79 Restaurants in Forest Park
Price range: US$11 - US$64
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A local hot spot since 1969, the Golden Steer Steakhouse is famous for its steaks and chops as well as its French Onion Soup. Every dish is prepared the moment you order it. From your first course to your last, our goal is to satisfy you, the customer. Golden Steer Steakhouse has been featured on Check, Please!, Chicago's Best, and many publications. Stop on by and experience what many locals call home.
Reviewed 13 March 2017

Tried something new today, the filet. OMG - melt in your mouth and HUGE. Everything was great as usual - French Onion Soup - hot, generous and delish. Salad with thousand island- crisp and dressing is mouthwateringly good. GENEROUS drinks and then the steak. ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC. Our waitress was fantastic too. The only bad thing is the ambience - kinda old and mismatched. They haven't spent money on the interior in a good 30 years, really. I really wish they would clean the dining room a bit, the walls look really smoky/dirty. It's best to stare only at your food. :)

1  Thank Linda S L

Reviewed 26 October 2016

We finally made it to the Golden Steer--we live in the area--and we are very glad that we did. The restaurant has been in Forest Park since 1970; it's very old-school, white-table cloth (but nothing at all fancy), and the prices are reasonable for the delicious food. And you can take your vegetarians with you--there is at least one pasta dish, and fish for the pesca-tarians.

The service was terrific, including the wisecracking servers (delightful!), and the food was excellent. My husband and I had the French onion soup (delicious), salad (very nice), and ten-ounce filets (perfect); our friends each had the same soup and salad and the 16 ounce, boneless rib eye steaks.

Everything was terrific, including the homemade tiramisu for dessert.

We went to the restaurant during the first game of the World Series and were able to sit in the bar area to see the game--where we could see flat-screen tv images from every seat. (Perfect.) Had we not wanted to see the game, the dining room is in a separate, quiet area.

We have found ourselves our new steakhouse!

2  Thank Grmpmbl
Reviewed 10 September 2016

My wife and I went to the Golden Steer for our 49th wedding anniversary. The meal was almost perfect.We both had their 10 ounce filet mignon, which was top notch. The meal was timed great. Soup course, then salad...with just enough time to enjoy both. My wife's martini was bodacious and excellent. The only thing that was just a trifle off...were my French fries that I ordered with my steak. They were a little soggy. I should have ordered baked potato like my wife did. All in all a memorable meal.

1  Thank Drocton
Reviewed 5 August 2016 via mobile

This is a nice neighborhood bar/restaurant. Had a reservation but didn't feel rushed while having a drink prior. Had the shrimp and my friend had the prime rib. We then divided them. We started with the French onion soup. You must have this it is the best ever. The service was exceptional. Very friendly and clean. Our food was perfect the prime rib was tasty and tender the lightly breaded shrimp was perfect with it.

1  Thank Martha K
Reviewed 10 May 2016

I've been eating here since my Robert Bosch days in the early 1990s. The bar is well stocked and the cocktails are excellent. Both the bar and eating areas are rather small so definitely make reservations for the weekends. Food is outstanding and prices are very reasonable for the large portions received. Service has always been consistently outstanding through the years.

3  Thank Michael H