All reviews rooftop deck french pastry chef yogurt quaint hotel european experience antique furniture purple line continental breakfast hard boiled eggs warm croissants cozy library northwestern university off street parking otis elevator oak street small elevator sitting room
Reviewed 19 July 2015 via mobile

If you want the feel of a bed & breakfast in a city & college setting, this converted women's boarding house is a delightful change of pace. Nearly 100 years old, this facility has been completely updated with central air, flat screen TVs, free wifi, private baths, & much more, but it has retained the charm of an inn. With only about 50 rooms, this 5-story hotel is tucked away in the middle of a quiet residential neighborhood. The complimentary breakfast is FANTASTIC! Fresh pastries, hot ham & cheese or turkey breakfast sandwiches, yogurt, granola, coffee, juices & English muffins will more than satisfy the heartiest of appetites. An old-style elevator, with the sliding metal gate, adds to your 1920s experience. Breakfast is served in a huge sitting room, with vintage upholstered chairs & sofas, & coffee tables for your food & beverages. Put this quaint inn on your "must-stay" list if you're in Evanston!

Date of stay: July 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Borntotravel365
Reviewed 1 July 2015

My wife and I fell in love with this hotel. The hotel is small. It's on a quiet side street. It is old, but very nice. Lots of antique furniture. The people who run it are great. Very friendly. The room was small, but comfortable. The bathroom was clean. The one negative was it only had a shower. My wife likes a bathtub. The breakfast was nice. It's mostly pastries. We'll stay there again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2015

We came to visit family and met Kathryn at the front desk on check in. She was engaging and helpful, telling us about the hotel and the neighborhood. A friendly start. The hotel was built in 1927 as a residence for proper businesswomen as documented in several newspaper articles in the hallways. And that sense of history is apparent in how the hotel operates and feels. The decorating in the common areas is historically congruent and maybe slightly worn in places, but not in a negligant way. The elevator is reliable, self operated, and includes that old-time metal-linked interior door that must be closed manually. You see the floors pass by, but it never felt unsafe. If felt like being in another historical period. The parlor, where breakfast is served, includes a baby grand piano with period furniture, and looks out onto Oak Avenue. In warm weather they open the doors. Our room had been fully renovated with flat screen TV and adjustible A/C. The shower had low water pressure, but was quite adequate. Staff was very friendly and helpful but not intrusive. The continential breakfast, as described by other reviewers, included oatmeal, yogurt, and fresh pastries. Decalf brewed coffee would be a nice addition. We had fresh fruit on Sunday. The hotel is within walking distance of 2 train lines to Chicago and restaurants/shopping in Evanston - a lovely college town. I can see how a previous reviewer would be a bit disoriented arriving after dark. The hotel has its own individualities that are easy once you learn them. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and will go back again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank CAZ485
Reviewed 13 June 2015

We stayed here the night before a football showcase at Ryan Field. It is only 5 minutes away. We booked a queen with 2 twin beds. What we got was a double and a day bed (which I later found had a trundle bed underneath). How is that 2 twin beds? My lineman son, did not fit on the daybed. He had to either stick his feet off the end over the rails or curl up. Breakfast was good for what it was, but was not what we needed. Most of these reviews rave about the breakfast ( and they were excellent pastries), but we needed more than what it provided. My fault for not investigating. The oatmeal was cold and my son doesn't care for greek yogurt. He ate both because he needed the fuel for the camp but was not happy. They also do not serve brewed decaf. Arrival- we arrived around 9pm in the dark and raining. We had a hard time finding the hotel and there is no place to pull up and drop off your bags. All the street parking was taken. Very odd. We were instructed not to park directly behind the hotel (even though their online map states that you can), as that is for employees, and to get into the doors from the back you need a key code. Which assumes you have already been into the registration desk. So we ended up bringing our stuff in through the front and up the stairs. So it seems our experience was somewhat different than the other reviewers. Like I said in my title, it depends. It is a neat place and I love historic places. It just wasn't what we needed at the time.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank greenbo
Reviewed 4 June 2015

In a number of ways (mostly positive, this hotel is a throw back to an earlier time. The hotel is not on a busy street and you wouldn't even know it was there if you didn't see the flags out front. We parked out front on the street to check-in and unload the car.

The hotel itself is unique with it's antique European decor (more on that later), small rooms (not too small however), and old elevator (with door and gate). Our room was clean with a large, well-appointed, tiled bathroom. The king sized bed was very comfortable, the A/C unit quiet, and the room itself was also quiet.

The staff bends over backward to be friendly and helpful. The manager spent 15 minutes with me on check-in pointing out various great places to eat in the neighborhood. The only negative on check-in was that no-one offered to help us with our luggage, which I thought was odd.

Off-street parking was convenient, reasonably priced ($10/day), and about a 1/2 block behind the hotel in a private, ground-level parking lot.

The free breakfast was excellent with freshly baked croissants, breakfast sandwiches, pecan muffins (my favorite), and the usual, fruit, cereal, coffee, etc. A large common area with antique (and run-down) furniture made a nice environment to eat and mingle with other guests. They also serve freshly made cookies in the evening. (I would like to see some work done on the furniture in the common area as some of the couches were very uncomfortable and one table had the veneer top separating from the table frame.)

Overall this is a very nice hotel and I would stay there again.

Date of stay: May 2015