“I could have done better”

Al's Cafe & Creamery
Ranked #1 of 196 Restaurants in Elgin
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Ordered the chicken bruschetta sandwich and was really lookin forward to eating it. Was totally let down. If looked like a blob of melted cheese! How are going to make a chk bru sandwich and smother it with cheese! The bruschetta wasn't fresh and greens were wilted. Needs a nicer bun,fresh bruschetta and greens and finished with parm or asiago and not cheddar!

Reviewed 26 February 2010

Al's is great. They actually have a Chef who changes the menu regularly to include monthly thematic specials. This sounds very basic, but I find it difficult to find good "non-chain" restaurants in this area of the suburbs. A man can not survive on Buffalo Wild Wings and Chili's alone.
Try a Steak, some Fish, or the Pork Tenderloin Medallions. You wont be disappointed. All the sauces and dressings are homemade and the malts are memorable. The service is also great. Al's is certainly worth a visit for lunch or dinner.

Reviewed 20 August 2009

Maybe Al's was talked up too much for me so I was expecting something amazing. Our food was nothing memorable, but the malts are unbeatable! Our service was great. The waitress was super friendly. I'd go back for malts any time, but probably not a meal. I'm choosing that I would not recommend it to a friend overall, however, I do suggest stopping in for a malt if you're in the area for sure.

Reviewed 23 June 2009

My hubby and I have been going to Al's for the past three or four years ... at least twice a month! We're regulars for sure. The first time we stopped in we were just in Elgin looking at homes and wanted coffee to-go. They were so nice, told us about the area and gave us a couple free cookies too. We were hooked from then on. Their food is always fresh and the service is great! My favorites are the BLT, the Grilled Cheese Deluxe, the New York Strip on Garlic Bread and the Tuna Dill. Also they have great french fries, salads and of course the ice cream is fab!! Best of all the owners and servers are SO friendly. They are doing monthly specials and recently they did Rib Month which was amazing! I hope they add the ribs to the regular menu!!

Reviewed 30 March 2009

Al's is under new management. It's still an excellent choice with a varied and interesting menu. Dinner was preceded by the house Sangria - nice balance of wine/fruit. I had a "Russian" sandwich - roast beef, corned beef, sweet/sour red cabbage and melted swiss cheese on dark rye. I rarely order french fries...but am glad I did. The service was very generous and I, and my dining partner, had MORE than enough of them for both of us. We, sadly, didn't leave room for a Burns Malt. Quality, which some restaurants are compromising due to economic times, is still top notch. After dinner we lingered in conversation and were not rushed out. We finally realized they had CLOSED when they started sweeping and we were the only ones there. Will DEFINITELY be going back.