“The cookies”

Royal Donut
Ranked #1 of 5 Dessert in Danville
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Always fresh donuts and coffee are available 24 hours a day.
Reviewed 4 July 2018 via mobile

Their donuts are good but their black and white cookies are better! Staff are always friendly and it’s quick to get in and out.

jhambley, Owner at Royal Donut, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2018

Sarah, thank you so much for your kind words.

Reviewed 23 June 2018

The staff is always welcome and friendly. The donuts are always fresh. And, it seems like they are always open for business, location is good!

jhambley, Owner at Royal Donut, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2018

Thank you so much for your review!

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

A small shop but oh so good with a great variety of donuts and drinks. I really like the angel filled donut but it would be impossible to find one that isn’t good. The staff is friendly and it is clean. They also have a drive through if your in a hurry.

jhambley, Owner at Royal Donut, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2018

Glad you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 23 April 2018

I must resend my former review of this place.
The doughnuts have changed greatly.
I have attempted to eat them on two occasions.
My work place provides them as a thank you appreciation.
Either they have gone cheep on the traditional recipe I have been used to or something has simply gone way wrong.
Has the former baker changed to someone else??
I cannot believe the let down I have been subjected to.
I guess I must go elsewhere for the simple pleasures of doughnut enjoyment...

Maybe they have changed hands and the new owner is banking on the previous reputation of forty some years of fine doughnuts.
The look of the boxes have changed although I don't necessarily eat the boxes they may offer a much better doughnut experience than what is now contained inside....
By substituting a poor substandard product.
What ever is going on here they are not good any more.
I have even gave them the plain cake doughnut taste test.
I could only eat a small part of it.
So sad.
These were the best in town now sadly they are an embarrassment to the previous quality we all have been accustomed to.
I ran a personal test among the employees the verdict is poor at best.
I have given them two chances .
Fool me once, fool me twice forget you...

jhambley, Owner at Royal Donut, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2018

Stephen, I'm sorry we disappointed you. My father-in-law, Sanford Eichhorn, founded Royal Donut 45 years ago. My wife, Sanford's daughter, now owns the business following his passing in the Spring of 2018.

At the time of your review, the manufacturer of our fryer shortening was changing their recipe to meet the nationally mandated requirement to remove all ingredients that contain trans fats. Unfortunately, it caused a huge change in the taste of our fried products. We immediately started testing other frying shortenings and found they all had similar issues. As a result, we went old school and now fry our products in pure lard. We actually fried in lard for decades and it is a healthier fat than any of the soybean-based or palm oil-based shortenings being used at most restaurants/bakeries today. I would invite you to taste the product again and see if agree, as it tastes more like the original donuts my father-in-law made four decades ago. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

They are expensive but yummy. Freshly made doughnuts are just great. A good Sunday morning treat....