“I enjoy my trip and hotel”

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast
Ranked #119 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Iowa City, Iowa, United States
“I enjoy my trip and hotel”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

really nice and comfortable hotel~I love all the colors and decoration. The server there is really nice, especially the front desk, Tom Hilton, he is really patient, considerate, hard-working and sweet,:-) I enjoy all the experience in the hotel, the Christmas chocolate and nice photos with Tom!

Room Tip: some room is dry for sleep.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Prince407

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Thai first
Maple Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My fiancee and I wanted to stay close to downtown but at a more intimate setting the the giant corporate hotels. The hotel is small (in a good way) personal, and very clean. We pulled right up to the front door and the desk was only steps away. The parking, elevator, and room were all very close and convenient. The staff was very courteous, helpful and friendly. The rooms are very cool - hardwood floors, bright colors, not your typical hotel room. The hotel is located in a great area within walking distance to great restaurants and shops. Will definetly stay at Indigo again. The only downside would be that the heating unit fans are somewhat noisy (at least in our room) we ended up shutting it off the second night and the lack of storage (which has been mentioned in other reviews). Otherwise I would highly recommend the hotel for couples and those who are looking for a smaller, fun, more intimate hotel in the downtown area

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marklpe
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We arrived by train at 1 pm and they let us check in right away.
The room was ok ,small with 1 Queen size bed.TV was tiny and old.
I had problems with the comforter,it was very heavy.
Front desk was friendly and they had a small business section with 2 computers .
We booked through Priceline and the experience in all was fine.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hofgirl
Reviewed 5 December 2011

They have the best customer service I have ever experienced! I would advise anyone who is coming to Chicago to stay here!!

• Stayed November 2011
Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I was delighted for the opportunity of a return stay at the Hotel Indigo. Despite others' experience with third-party booking, I was actually treated very well.

Due to travel delays, I arrived in Chicago near midnight (several hours later than scheduled). I was concerned about the room status since this was a Hotwire booking. But the front desk clerk, Lissa, could not have been more helpful. I phoned ahead and she said, "Yes, I see your Hotwire booking" -- [so she knew this was 3rd party] -- and I have noted your delayed arrival for a reservation of one night." I replied it was actually two nights -- we had added on a second night after the initial reservation.

Lissa quickly found this information, and remembered it when I finally arrived very late that night at the hotel. Her greeting was friendly and professional -- as soon as I identified myself, she let me know she was the person to whom I had spoken on the phone, and she expressed empathy for the long day of travel delays. (A small thing, perhaps, but it really makes a difference to a tired traveler.) She also told me just to come down to the desk in the morning and they would work out having the "second" reservation applied to my room without necessitating a move.

When I came down the next morning, the only downside was a non-uniformed woman working at the front desk computer. I explained about the reservation consolidation and she *rolled her eyes*(!), made some sort of snorting noise and said "I don't think so," and went back to what she was doing. It was appallingly rude. Luckily a woman standing next to her (who was in the "uniform" of other clerks) quickly said, "Yes, Miss ____, I took care of the reservation this morning and you are all set!" I said the other woman had been very rude; the competent clerk apologized and asked if she could take care of breakfast. I had already eaten, but I appreciated the offer to make things right. Note to management, though: the older woman who works the computer and is not dressed like the clerks should not have contact with guests.

Kudos on the excellent night clerk and morning clerk. I typically book directly through the hotel, although in this instance I used Hotwire on a whim -- and I am pleased to say that I have been treated cordially no matter the booking source (as should be the case in a competently managed hotel.)

P.S. -- The only oddity: since the elevator is near the front door, I realized many guests do not realize there is a small restaurant in the back of the lobby. Rooms have a large menu for a restaurant nextdoor, but no info on in-house dining, which is too bad because it is in a very cute space!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo