“Great views with character at the Grande Dame of Chicago”
Review of The Drake Hotel

The Drake Hotel
Ranked #78 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Great views with character at the Grande Dame of Chicago”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

This grand old hotel is in the perfect Water Tower Michigan Ave location with spectacular views of the Gold Coast, Lake Michigan and Oak Street Beach. The Drake takes you back to the opulence of the 1920s. We had a lot of fun watching what we assumed to be octagenerian neighborhood regulars dancing to a live jazz band in the Palm Court. Like the Drake they were old and a little worn but they still got it baby. I hear the rooms can be hit or miss. Ours was great - a 6th floor Jr. King Suite. It was very spacious with the best views. It was a little drafty, a little noisy and a little tired but that was easy to overlook given the location, charm, spacious room and the price. The old girl's been around the block a few times but still worth asking to the dance.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank TinleyKing
RMenkes, General Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear Trip Advisor,
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We take pride in the character of the hotel and the character of our guests, and I'm glad you were able to witness our weekend activity in Palm Court. It is a great atmosphere in there during entertainment hours, and of course afternoon tea time. There is so much history associated with this hotel. I love to see our guests gravitate to, and appreciate all that that means. We hope to welcome you back soon, and maybe next time you can take to the dance floor yourself!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (816)
  • Turkish first
Sugar Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I chose a king room for 2 adults, in the most inexpensive class, street vs/ lakeside. Although I sincerely wanted the lakeside (as did everyone else), The interior room was quite adequate. No, it was beautiful! From the carpeting to the pull-down blinds, to the bed, pillows and view.

We were very familiar with the Drake and always wondered what it would be to stay here. I can tell you that:
beginning with the street-side valet (which was included in the room price along with as many in & outs free), the relaxing breakfast lakeside breakfast whose staff were attentive to your every need, to the multiple restaurants, ambiance, and luxury thorough-out (and much more), THIS IS CHICAGO'S FINEST!!!

I mean it, my stay was wonderful. I sat in the club chair looking out upon the streets of Chicago and just relaxed. The bathroom had a new bathtub (I took my first bath that night, the first in years), a rather odd arrangement for the toilet with the paper on the wall behind you. There is an individual cup coffee maker in the room. The bed seemed to be larger that a king, and it was a first, my husband didn't snore that night. BTW, The room is QUIET! I heard nothing from other rooms, doors, hallway noise or wheeling carts. Nothing.

I was extremely happy. We will stay here again when we are looking for a place to stay in the city. This hotel exuded classy elegance vs. the Trump I stayed at who had a very large and metal feeling to it. I wish I had not bothered reading others reviews. I was told what a long walk it was in the hotel to your room. Mine sure wasn't.

This was an extremely unusual February, it is 40-50 deg, it is windy, of course, but not cold at all to us who live in Illinois or Cchicago.

The only thing I can think of would be a night turn-down with chocolates on your pillow. Now wouldn't that be nice?

Room Tip: I always bring an extra tea bag or two since I'm not a coffee drinker. (They do supply 1 or 2...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChicagoOlivia
Dear Trip Advisor,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am surely not disappointed to hear your kind words regarding our staff and hotel. Our mission is to create an experience for our guests, and your review surely proved we succeeded. We have received some feedback regarding that added touch of a turndown service, and be assured we are hearing everything our guests are saying. Thank you again, and yes, it has been a wonderful February! We hope to see you back for every season.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 14 February 2012

The Drake, I can't get enough of you!

Pros:
-Historic, nicely remodeled building
-Unionized staff
-Streeterville/Magnificent Mile location
-Got a great conference rate for rooms
-Really nice conference/banquet space
-Nice soap/shampoo in the rooms
-Nice coffee makers in rooms

Cons:
-Internet in rooms is wired only (and costs $12.95 for 24 hours)
-$6 charge for room service (instead of the usual $2.50)

I would definitely stay here again. It is a lovely place, with friendly and helpful staff. There is a cafe on the lower level for low-key simple breakfast, plus their full restaurant breakfast. I didn't try their fancy night bar, but it looked nice.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank haparev
Dear Trip Advisor,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us at The Drake. The next time you are here you will just have to stop in the Coq d'Or lounge for an Executive cocktail. It is an experience in itself! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to list what you liked and did not like about your stay and know that we recognize the cons you mentioned. Great strides have been made to keep The Drake Hotel’s profile relevant and in-room wi-fi is next on the lisit of advancements to be made. Again, thank you for this great review and we are looking forward to welcoming you back.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Stayed here for 5 days over NYE.

Location: Michigan Ave. / Magnificent Mile -- AMAZING...close to everything. Hit the bloomingdales - amazing deals! AND if your from out of state: you get 15% off on top of that (go to customer service to ask for the coupon). We took the L train all over the city and it was just awesome- buy the 7 day pass and explore! Make sure to head to Wicker park area...soooo cool! Go to Wormhole Cafe for coffee....sooooooo goood.

Rooms: As Hilton hons member, I was given an upgrade to a king suite. Lovely room with old world charm. Strange about no wifi in rooms....I was annoyed at first, BUT you know, its a good thing, cause its time to escape and not be on your devices...for business i guess not great, but hey, for vacation I say great...we need to interact and be together! There is free wifi in lobby. Super Comfy beds.

Rates: We booked our deal including flight ....Amazing since it was over NYE. We could hear our neighbors (young people partying for NYE talking about how they paid 400 to stay the night). So, we definitely got an amazing deal. Sometimes thin walls are a good thing. ;) Made my day as I love a deal! ;)

Elite Breakfast: It was pretty so so. The wait staff don't seem to clear the tables, so we did so ourselves each morning so that we got a seat. It was pretty weak. No eggs, just cold things like yog, cereal, bread, muselix, fruits, salmon, etc. They often ran out of stuff if you get there 1/2 before closing. Also, one of the mornings they started putting the food away before it was over which was a little rude.

Lobby: Beautiful. Wish we tried the various restos due to the history but we didn't so I can't comment. Next time hopefully. We tried to get a drink the one night but it was an hour wait and the waiter was a little stuffy for my liking so we didn't bother.

NYE: we were going to a concert at the Aragon ballroom, but the hotel was hosting a swanky party. Maybe hit that next year!

Highly recommend this hotel. It is nice to stay in a place with history, old charm, etc. I also LOVE the carpets....you will see what i mean! And yes, the walls are thin and you can hear people if you are trying, but most times it was quiet and comfortable~

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
RMenkes, General Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Dear Trip Advisor,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us over the New Year holiday. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you were caused due to overly noisy neighbors. Most importantly though, I thank you for bringing the issues you experienced in the Executive Lounge to my attention. It will surely be addressed. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed some of our recent upgrades to our decor. We are delighted to let you know that Wi-fi will soon be available in our guestrooms--- which I agree with you, is good for our business travelers, but I hope it doesn't prevent our vacationers from experiencing all Chicago has to offer! Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
holland, mi
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Great place to stay. Old and majestic, the Drake sits on the northern end of the North Michigan Avenue "miracle mile".

The Drake probably has the best location for Lake Michigan views and Michigan avenue frontage.

Room Tip: Lake Michigan view is worth it.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor,

Thank you for submitting a review about our hotel. Your kind words are very appreciated. We highly value the comments and opinions of our guests and are glad to see when they result in high ratings and fantastic reviews. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Drake, Real Chicago.