“Hotel rooms starting to show age”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #66 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Illinois
“Hotel rooms starting to show age”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I stayed at this same Sheraton 10+ years ago and remember thinking it was really nice. On my recent trip I realized the rooms are really starting to show age, wallpaper peeling, chips in doors, etc. Rooms are very standard. Does have fully stocked over priced mini-bar, PS. There is a Walgreens not too far away for snacks. The lobby and main parts are still very nice and appear to be updated. Location is good, right on the river, walking to shopping on State Street, or to Michigan. We found a great parking garage a little hidden on a side street, for only $30 for 24 hours. It was just steps away from the side of the hotel which was nice. This hotel does have a small indoor pool, so if you are hitting the city with kids, it is a nice treat, since many of the Chicago hotels don't have pool. The pool area and locker rooms were well maintained. I would recommend the stay again, but rooms could defintely use updates. Check-in was quick despite how busy hotel was for some sort of convention.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
DanitaCEO, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear ewes,

Your review is greatly appreciated...thank you!

I am delighted to share renovations of our guestrooms have begun. We are finalizing the first phase and will start the second group of rooms near the end of the year! The feedback from the guests who have expreienced the new rooms has been quite positive!

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Chicago!

Warmest regards,

Danita Harth-Bates
Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,359)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We reserved this hotel through Hotwire and it was supposed to be a 4 star hotel. This hotel is definitely not a 4 star hotel. I was excited to enjoy the nice view and ask for it at my check-in and she said "I put you in a room with a great view"...that turned out to be a garage view!!! Then I called them to change my room and they told me " we are completely booked and we can't change your room" then why did you lie at the check-in, just be honest.

The room was very small and congested with old carpets and old bathroom.there were stains and hair all over the bathroom...But after all, the main surprise came to me when I was getting ready to take a shower in the morning. THERE WAS AN OLD SOAP COVER ON THE SHOWER WALL!!!! I tried to call but no one answered my phone, then I went to the front desk and the same lady who checked me in was there. She acted like it's not a big deal, not even an apology. Are you kidding me? The least that a cleaning person could do is to get rid of visible trash and disposables, when there is a soap cover sticking to the wall, who knows what's there that you can't see. I could not convince myself to take a shower there and we left without even taking a shower. I will never ever go back.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Abcdmk
Dear Abcdmk,

Thank you for taking the time to submit this review and while your feedback was disappointing to read, I am grateful you have share them. I believe that guest feedback is a gift for it provides us the opportunity to improve the quality of service we offer. Providing a clean, well appointed guestroom is at the very basic of good hospitality and failing to meet our own external standards for cleanliness is simply not acceptable.

Your feedback is being shared with the housekeeping leadership team who will address it with our room attendants.

I hope that after a period of time you will choose to give us another try! I am confident you will find your experience to one you can brag about!

Warm regards,

Danita Harth-Bates,
Director of Rooms
Renton
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We had six rooms and they were all spacious. The staff always takes good care of us. The staff members in the executive lounge on the 33rd floor were fantastic. Friendly and efficient. Location is close to lots many restaurants. Beds were comfortable, the water in the shower was always hot (which is not always the case in other hotels), the elevators were fast, and the service was great everywhere in the hotel. Even the taxi lines moved quickly. I stay in tons of hotels in my travels, but this is the only one that I am this loyal to. I have not found this level of service anywhere else, and the value is the best in town. You will not be disappointed.
Randy D

Room Tip: Floors 18 and above have easier access to the Executive Lounge. I have stayed there more than 10 tim...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Kevin K, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
Dear Randy D,
Thanks so much for your incredible review! We truely appreciate your loyalty and will continue to show it by striving to get better. I will pass the kind words about our Club Lounge team to our Director of Rooms so they can be recognized for the positive impact they made on your stay. We look forward to seeing you back again soon!
NYC
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I have spend two separate weeks at this property recently, once during the month of January and once during February. This property is quite large though their staffing seems to have been greatly reduced. The concierge desk was never manned. I never saw more than two staffmembers at the front desk. The rooms are quite dated but are of a standard size and adequately maintained. The animal print wallpaper is peeling at spots and the furniture in the rooms is showing more than average wear and tear. The location of this property is just north of the Chicago river and one block east of Michigan Avenue. The loop and the Magnificent Mile are within easy walking distance. The airport is easily accessed by cathing the 65 busline (directly behind the PJ Clarke's restaurant in front of the hotel) which will take you to Milwaukee where you can catch the blue line to O'Hare. Chicago's buses are equipped with visual and auditory indications for each stop. There are several excellent restaurants within walking distance of this hotel. Transportation is excellent with a CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) 7-day pass available for $23. You can purchase this pass at the Blue Line station at O'Hare.
Beware: if you are looking for dinner after a day of business meetings you will be hard set to find any restaurants open after 10pm!

Room Tip: While it's tempting to take a room looking out over Lake Michigan, you will spend most of the ev...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank newyorkbo
Dear newyorkbo,
Thanks so much for your review! I'm happy to read that we were able to meet/exceed your expectations in most areas of your experience with us. We are currently in phase one of a total room renovation project that addresses most of your concerns with the physical appearence and layout. We look to be completed by 2015.
In regards to your difficulty finding dining options later in the evening, I apologize for the inconvenience. Typicallhy, Shula's will take thier final seatings around 10:30pm for the dining room and around 11pm for the lounge. After that time, small plates item are available in Java Bar until close and full menu items are availble via In-Room Dining until midnight SUN-THU and until 2am FRI-SAT. We hope that these options will cover whatever dining needs you may have in the future!
Thanks very much again for your review and we look forward to seeing you back again real soon!
Milwaukee
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here. great location, great self parking, great accommodations, very good staff,and an excellent view.

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Jana S,
Thanks so much for the great review! While the positive feedback is terrific, we are most happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to seeing you back again real soon!