“Tired, shabby, dreary”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Louisville, Kentucky
“Tired, shabby, dreary”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

It finally happened. After years of booking with Hotwire I finally got a hotel that I hated. I booked a 4.5-star hotel in Chicago and was given the Intercontinental Hotel on North Michigan Avenue. Tired, shabby, dreary, and needlessly expensive. There were no vending machines on premises according to the front desk, which was delighted to tel us that room service was available 24 hours (a can of soda would have been $11 after room service fees, gratuities, and taxes. The room furnishing were scuffed, scratched, and in poor working order. The bed linens were tattered. We had bath towels with holes big enough to put my thumb through. All-in-all, a sad excuse for a hotel with the star rating this one has.

I know not to expect the best room in the house when I book on Hotwire. But this place was ridiculous. I was expecting something at least as nice as The Wit, the Chicago Hyatt, or even the Hilton Suites Chicago, all of which I have booked on Hotwire and also which have lower star-value ratings.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank MarComTraveler
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, 22 September 2012
Dear MarComTraveler,

Thank you for your review of your stay. I am sorry you did not find our hotel to your liking. All of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests. Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Brenda J.
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (894)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 5 days because my sister was getting married in one of the ballrooms and we also used several halls for the event. While the wedding was fantastic (all thanks to the wedding planner), the service at the hotel left a lot to be desired and even my 10year old niece was not impressed.
For starters, the elevator had a mind of its own and always took forever. Certain elevators go to only certain floors so its like an annoying merry go round. For the room rates we paid...over 250 dollars a night, I found it ridiculous that we still had to pay for a bottle of water in the room.

And to top it off, when I was checking out and called for assistance, I was repeatedly sent to voicemail!! So I had to leave my niece in the room, take a set of bags down, make a compliant and then do another trip down. By the way, the telephone in each room has an 'emergency button' which is rarely answered on time and even went to voicemail once..what hotel has voicemail! My sister stayed in the bridal suite and it was depressing. The decor of the room was very old with terrible carpeting.

So if you want value for your money, think twice about staying here!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Cee247
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
Cee247,

Thank you for your candid feedback. It is unfortunate you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations, but I am pleased your event was a highlight. We are always looking for ways to improve our hotel, and your feedback will help us to do so.

Ben J
IHG Care
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The hotel is in a great location on Michigan Avenue. It was also visually pleasing and safe. However, the room was just okay. It was somewhat small and expensive.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
York, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We traveled to Chicago for just a 2 night stay for business, This hotel is old but beautiful, near everything! We walked just about everywhere we needed to go. The Trolley Tour stop #9 is very close by and the shops are steps away. The pool was closed for renovation but we knew about it ahead of time and I'm not sure we would have time to use it anyway with so much else to do! The service was great, concierge very informed. My biggest issue was the noise generated by the heater and A/C units. It was loud and ran constantly. Standard room was small but we really weren't in the room much. Nice bathroom but that too was small. The view was nice of Wrigley Building. Chicago Riverwalk very close and safe. Would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Winnie K
Reviewed 4 April 2012

This hotel is everything you need from a Chicago hotel in the heart of the city.  It's in an excellent location and service is good.  It is pricey, as are many hotels of an equal standing. The rooms are modest in size but are well equipped.

The problem is that many new intercontinental properties worldwide make this hotel feel tired and just not quite up to par (San Francisco and Beijing to name but two are contemporary and fresh).  The issue in Chicago is the historic building which houses this hotel - there are lots of limitations around room sizes and shapes but that is no excuse for an outdated interior.  It was difficult to get access to natural light because the windows overlook rooms in the other tower - due to this the interior lighting was inadequate.

Would I stay here again? Possibly rather than probably!

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank dan_mellor
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
dan_mellor,

Thank you for your stay, and taking the time to provide feedback. I'm sorry you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations received. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future.

Ben J