“The Best Place to Stay in Chicago!”

Hyatt Regency Chicago
Ranked #88 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The Hyatt Regency on Wacker Drive is always my "go-to" hotel in Chicago. It's centrally located, large enough to offer all the resources for business or family travel, and the employees are constantly going the extra mile to make me comfortable. As you can tell, I'm already a fan and have been staying at this Hyatt for many years but, on my last trip I had some major challenges when my wallet was accidentally left in a taxi. The Hyatt team went out of their way to make special arrangements and prevented my unexpected loss from becoming a catastrophic event!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 February 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt - had a nice room (paid for an upgraded water view, which was nice to have), the staff was friendly and helpful, the location is perfect and we had a very decent rate. The lobbies were pretty nice, but we didn't hang out there or eat at any of the places. We walked most places (or took a cab if our destination was really far), even in the middle of winter.
I try not to be too picky about these things, but our room was dusty the whole time we were there. It was enough to be noticed, so it should have been cleaned by the staff. Also, we weren't very fond of the bed. It was a bit on the hard side and wasn't exactly plus. It wasn't horrible though. Again, not horrible, but our room was very hot no matter how we set the temp at.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I needed a convenient overnight in Chicago while on an Amtrak adventure. I found a bargain on the Hyatt on Priceline, and found a very comfortable hotel only a 14-block cab ride from Union Station (a walk if I hadn't been carrying a lot of baggage!). This Loop/Streeterville location is convenient to a number of Chicago favorites. The first several stories house elegant bars, restaurants, water features, snacking shops/gift stores, car rental service, concierge and check-in--pretty much any service you might need, though at a price ($8.75 tall domestic beer, $3.75 for a tube of Tums, etc!). My 12th floor room was comfortable, with a fantastic bed and a great view. I loved the small magnifying makeup/shaving mirror in the bathroom, an amenity I rarely see in hotels.
My only criticism of the Hyatt was the ever-so-cheesy stocked fridge, complete with the "do not put your own food/drinks in here" sign that announced a $25 fee if you dared to - gasp - use their crappy little refrigerator! (Take the high road, Hyatt...give us the fridge and you'll likely get us buying overpriced foods on your property anyway!)
The Hyatt staff, from the doormen to the concierge to the room staff to the desk, were uniformly professional, helpful, and empathetic. I was particularly impressed when trying to find a home for a fresh half-pizza that I couldn't possibly eat. A bellman, very discretely, pointed out the skyway to a man in the next block who was apparently a frequent resident of that stretch of sidewalk. The bellman emphasize to me over and over that "I can't advise you" and "You need to be safe", but I was persistent in wanting to find a good home for my leftover food! The fact that this gentleman had not only great professional integrity, but also a personal side, was heartening. My pizza was greatly appreciated by a homeless man with kind eyes.
Bottom line: a great, convenient, comfortable property...if a little high-priced on the amenities.

Room Tip: Views vary in this large, urban location.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I've stayed at this Hyatt many times over the last 5 years. It's not my hotel of choice in Chicago, but sometimes it's the cheapest and it's also connected to the Pedway, which is convenient during winter months. The hotel itself is really two separate (but connected) towers. It really is a huge space, so be prepared to walk, especially after check in if you're in the east tower.

The rooms have improved in recent years due to pretty aggresive upgrading and rehab. The "Junior Suite" was by far the best experience I've ever had at Planet Hyatt. The room was spacious, clean, well decorated and had an amazing view of Chicago, though the bathroom was very small - smaller than the bathroom in a standard room which was pretty confusing. On a separate trip I stayed in a standard room, which was...standard (I would have angled for an upgrade, but the lady checking in beside me was expressing her outrage to the poor staff about her lack of upgrade, so I thought I'd do them a favor by keeping my mouth shut and just accept the room I actually paid for). Also clean, comfortable and totally sufficient.

The hotel overall lacks a personal feel. There always seems to be a pretty big mix of business travelers, tourists and conference attendees (if you do stay here get ready to laugh at the pretty random conferences they hold). That said, the staff I have interacted with over the years has always been friendly. By far the largest annoyance is the Internet fee. $9.99 per night is the standard rate, but they offer an upgrade to a faster speed for several dollars more. Another small annoyance is the prevelance of connected rooms...there's nothing worse than hearing your neighbors when you're trying to get to bed early, so make it your mission to find a room that isn't connected to another!

I'll stay here again. I'll roll my eyes when I book it because it's not my first choice. Then I'll arrive and realize it wasn't so bad afterall.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Great stay with luxury and awesome views of Lake Michigan. You have to check out the Eleven City Diner a short taxi ride but awesome food.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family