“Best REAL Pizza”

Price range: US$15 - US$28
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 January 2018

If you know Chicago, you know we are a big pizza city. There are many varieties of pizza but Forno Rosso serves real wood fired pizza Napoletana. Don't be boring and try one of their special or menu pizzas. You will love it. The dessert pizza/Nutella pizza is amazing. Parking is a challenge and it is easy to miss this little gem, in a strip mall.

Reviewed 6 December 2017

My spouse had wanted to go here for some time, and so our visit was highly anticipated. First of all, the building is unassuming- it's in a strip mall, and so I was pleasantly surprised to find the interior décor warm, inviting and casual-chic. You could go here for date night or to share a meal with friends. Secondly, the service was excellent. We were here on a Sunday evening, and so it was busy without being jam-packed. Our server was attentive enough, meaning she answered our questions and checked on us without breathing down our necks. I appreciate when I feel attended to without being rushed through the meal, and Forno Rosso delivered on that. Finally, the food. It's excellent. Not only is it 100% authentic Neapolitan pizza, it is delicious and able to accommodate a wide range of palettes. My spouse had three meats on his, and I had a vegetarian option with delicious artichokes and red peppers. If you get dessert, I highly recommend the Limoncello Gelato.

Reviewed 21 November 2017 via mobile

It has been years since we visited Naples and were both surprised but delighted with the style of pizza served there. Now Chicago has this wonderful restaurant with interesting options. We also were so pleased to get such a perfectly prepared panserotti ( lightly fried dough filled with melted cheese and tomato sauce found in small family restaurants all over Italy).
I tried the Pistachio pesto pizza with special local sausage and was very pleased. The thin crust was saturated with melted cheese and olive oil in the center, but puffy and light on the edges. There were many options besides traditional margarita style including some spicy sausage options. Although each pizza is considered to be a personal size, they would easily serve two.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

To be fair, my husband was not looking for a Neapolitan pizza. Too foo-foo for him but he was a good sport in indulging me. So we drove to this place from the burbs after reading a positive review in a Tribune pizza article. Grilled calamari was good but not exceptional. The Locale pizza was good but not exceptional. Think this place had made the pizza list in the Tribune because of the sausage which was quite tasty. Crust excellent.

Now, the service. Our friendly waitress took our orders and we never saw her again. I wanted to order some capers which are advertised as a free addition to any pizza. Was also contemplating another glass of wine. A different server brought our pizza and I had to flag down the manager to get our check paid. Not sure what happened there but if there was an emergency, someone should have covered our table.

So, in conclusion, Forno Rosso worth a stop if you in the neighborhood just to see the red oven if nothing else. But don't expect too much.

1  Thank Rebecca M
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is a neighborhood destination restaurant. At 62, the trendy, experimental food palaces are all the same, "...an expensive, delicious flash in the pan."

I LOOK FOR, FIND AND PATRONIZE RESTAURANTS, WITH "HONEST FOOD."

Nick Nitti—the owner and man who feels, knows and trains quality is the epitamy of dedication to the art and daily craft of phenomenal Napolitano pizza.

Note: if you do not know what differentiates the style of pizza from Naples, from the traditional Amerikan cardboard pizza or you prefer sticky bread dough to delicate puffy crust— prepared in a 1,000 degree brick oven then this restaurant is not for you, unless you want to open your eyes and taste buds.

It is one of few pizza restaurants, in the USA, certified as authentic by the Italian VPN; look it up.

if you like great food, ingredients that explode with flavor, go there. BUT do not be whining and complaining, to the server, "...that this pizza is different than normal. I want my money back." Because I may be disturbed at the table next to yours enjoying the freshest ingredients brought to Chicago. And that commentary never ends well with me. So, go to Trip Advisor and read about it first.

If you enjoy cardboard pizza and acidic tomato puree out of the can—leave the Forno Rosso patrons and especially the dedicated servers alone. Go to Pizza Hut instead.

I prefer the Harlem Avenue, Forno Rosso location. Giorgio, the manager, runs the room like he owns it: true dedication. The service staff is committed to quality as well: with the odd one-off server that is rote and uncommitted but they're gone—in the blink of an eye.

If you are lucky enough to get Sam as your server. She will assure THE BEST possible dining experience. She is the role model for all the dedicated wait staff.

FROM OUT OF TOWN? STUCK BETWEEN FLIGHTS AT O'HARE? BORED IN YOUR HOTEL ROOM?

Do not eat corporate crap or hotel room-service-slop, on your bed. Grab an Ūber and 10 minutes later you will have a unique dinner, in a sophisticated but casual setting. This is an Italian neighborhood so do not let the strip mall location put you off. On Harlem Avenue. This is the way it works.

From Chicago or Timbuktu; JUST DO IT! This level of quality is hard to fine at these fair prices. Freshest ingredients. Great service. And food prepared with love!

Tomorrow or Wednesday, I am heading there. Born and raised Italian in Chicago; I know quality.

If you like the food, service, etc. Like this review or let me know.