“Amazing Polish Food & Value - don't let the location fool you!”

Red Apple Restaurant
Ranked #768 of 10,814 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Polish, Czech
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Buffet
Neighbourhood: Avondale
Reviewed 26 January 2016

My husband was very skeptical about this restaurant choice. I told him I'd read good things and we tried it. The parking and "ambiance" leave something to be desired; however, the large variety of homemade food, fresh fruits and excellent coffee were fantastic!
He could not believe he was getting roasted duck with apples on a buffet. The pierogi, blintzes, ham (a REAL ham), duck, potato pancakes etc. alone are worth the trip. Add in the beautiful homemade desserts (cheesecake, Flan, layered tortes, puddings) and fresh fruit (watermelon, berries, cantaloupe, mango and more-in January no less) & it's more than you could hope for. With dessert I had coffee and it too was delicious. I even got a small pitcher of cream. They have espresso, if you'd like.
Did I mention the crusty old world bread is warm, and available for purchase (as long as it lasts)?
We enjoyed walking the ethnic neighborhood and visiting local businesses - some nice, some not so nice - but all part of a new fun experience.
WE WILL DEFINITELY go back and want to bring our children.

Date of visit: January 2016
1  Thank ksgbay

Reviewed 15 December 2015

Loved the polish and European food there. Was craving some good sausages and good grilled meat. Our family went there and we had two kids with us. One was a toddler and the service was great and we had a good time there.

Date of visit: January 2015
Reviewed 14 November 2015

This is one of two Red Apple Buffets, both located in Polish neighborhoods, both on Milwaukee Ave. and both have a really nice selection of Polish dishes. This particular restaurant has a small off-street parking lot. The staff is pretty friendly, even though not everyone speaks a lot of English, but then that adds a bit of flavor. Speaking of flavor, this has many of the Polish dishes that I grew up with. I love the stuffed cabbages, the variety of pierogi and the potato pancakes. Those three things, plus some cabbage and beet dishes would be enough for me, but there are plenty of other things to choose from. Considering that it is a buffet, it is not overly expensive, but I must admit that it would be nice if they took credit cards. If you have that ethnic Polish food craving, this should satisfy you.

Date of visit: October 2015
Reviewed 11 November 2015

StuffedcCabbage rolls were great, Good buffet. Great little desserts. Value is OK. Waitresses assume you know the dynamic of the restaurant so, a few times they looked at us like we were doing something wrong. I took a mug to serve myself a coffee and she snatched out of mu hand!! A big NO NO is that they only accept CASH!! we were lucky that we had money with us! Very "convenient" that they have a cash machine inside the restaurant! This is a place to go once in a while, if you crave stuffed cabbage!

Date of visit: October 2015
2  Thank naya58
Reviewed 15 October 2015

Great food. Loved the perogies and sausage. I was surprised that many of the staff speak polish better than english. I am glad my friend knew the language. the restaurant itself has the old world charm in the jefferson park (i think) neighborhood. I stuffed myself in here, as the food was just that good. It's a no frills place, and the food is clean, simple, and filling!!

Date of visit: December 2014