“Good Buffet!”

Cuisines: Indian, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Lakeview
Reviewed 8 February 2009

the buffet is a lot of good food at a reasonable price. the Indian buffets we are used to at home are considerably smaller with fewer options so this was a real treat. the dishes were really flavorful and the rice pudding was a delicious and light end to the meal. the service was good and the atmosphere was a little dark, but the stop in was well worth it.

1  Thank abbatron

Reviewed 29 December 2008

WARNING: STANDARD SCAM RESTAURANT.

This restaurant has a history of trying to steal money from customers by overcharging at checkout. Look at all comments to see others with the same problem.

For us: we had two buffet dinners plus a child's buffet (1/2 price) and one mango lassie. We had one BYOB bottle of wine. We were told the buffet was $10.95 per person and the lassie was $2.95. I did not get a bill from the waiter but was told to pay the cashier. She said it was $39.94. It seemed high (11*2.5 + 3 = $30.50) but I got distracted by her husband who does the smooth talking to keep the customer's attention away from overpaying. I paid the bill.

Only 15 minutes later did my wife point out that we were way overcharged. We left the El platform to go back and ask about the bill. After some lame excuses, the guy said... oh... it was my fault. Let's give you back $6. Still too high but I have two small kids. It was late and time to go.

I believe we were treated this way upon learning that we were visitors to Chicago while chatting with us.

FOOD: OK but nothing special. Go somewhere else.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 December 2008

Cheap all you can eat and good too.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 March 2008

There is GOOD Indian Food in Lakeview!!!!
Buffet with tasty Marsala, Tandori and many more.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 28 November 2007

Going out to eat for a special occasion for me usually means one of two things. One- we're celebrating something for my boyfriend, so we go to House of Hunan (also delicious). Two- we're celebrating something for me, so we go to Standard India.

Standard India is right off the red line Belmont stop, so it's incredibly easy to get to. They're open until 10 or 11 at night, which is also good, but they break in the middle of the day (around 3-5 I think) to set up for the dinner buffet. It's a buffet all day, yay!

There are tons of vegetarian options, and it says right above the food selection whether it's vegetarian, vegan, or contains meat. What can I say? I love having options other than cheese pizza, salad, or grilled cheese sandwiches.

Their naan (flat bread) is delicious, as is the cheese and peas curry. I like the garbanzo bean curry too, but it's a little spicy for me. But best of all... their rice pudding. Best in the midwest, as they say! Not to mention the sweet dumplings that go with it- it's my favorite dessert in the world. I live for this stuff.

The buffet is around 10 or 11 dollars, which isn't too bad. I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for an Indian restaurant, or just somewhere new.