“Great place for an event”
Review of La Petite Folie

Good for: Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Hyde Park
Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

I arrived at the restaurant before it opened having come directly from the airport. I sat in the courtyard in front of the restaurant where there was a delightful breeze. Once the restaurant opened, I got rid of my luggage. Shortly thereafter some of my friends began to arrive. Our event had taken over the whole front part of the restaurant. When we sat down to the dinner table there was a special menu where we made choices for first course, main course and dessert. There were three or four choices in each category that our host had preselected .To start with I chose the cheese tart which was truly wonderful and it was accompanied by a small salad. For my main course I chose steak au poivre which was accompanied by mashed potatoes and string beans. The steak was cooked just the way I asked. For dessert I chose the flourless torte. Others chose salmon or roasted chicken for their main course and were pleased. People also enjoyed the sorbet with fresh berries and the apple tart. The room handled our size party very well.

Reviewed 18 May 2017

The food was fantastic. My daughter had the smoked duck appetizer and the roasted duck entree, I had the whole trout. This place is worth the trip and a bargin on the price

Reviewed 10 April 2017

We had a very good meal, with a fine wine that went well with the magnet de canard and an enjoyable apple tart. The service was very good.

1  Thank niccolo
Reviewed 23 March 2017

The house still had several tables with people dining but we were turned away. I have been to this place several times in past years and wanted a nice lunch for my brother and sister -in-law and myself. we had had a rough day already due to my mother's entombment and were not able to make many advance arrangements. The cemetery was not on schedule and we had other family factors. My brother insists that Hyde Park is a dump and I contested that so we went to try La Petite Folie. Turned away we ended up at the Mexican joint around the corner off 57 th and Lake Park. I will go back with a reservation and with out other family members who are negative.

Reviewed 7 February 2017

What should have been an enjoyable family dinner was somewhat ruined by our indifferent waiter and his poor service. We were looking forward to going to this classy looking restaurant with the white linen tablecloths and fine glass stemware. As we approached the restaurant, tucked away in a semi strip mall, the look from the outside was inviting; big picture window and soft, subdued lighting inside. Our hostess was pleasant and said she could accommodate our early arrival. We were seated in the main room (there is a back room behind a partial room divider) by a tiny bar (no seats). Even early on a Sunday evening the room was well occupied. So we were off to a good start. It was mostly down hill from there.
Our server arrived, looking as glum as could be and giving the vibe that he would rather be anywhere else. Without a smile or introduction, he asked if we would like to drink something. I replied, "sure", but would really appreciate seeing the wine/cocktail list first; get the picture? It took too long to get the drinks, once ordered, and mine was the wrong one. My waiter was nowhere to be seen so I had to waive down another server to fix the drink mistake. That server, by the way, was friendly, apologetic, offered no excuses and took care of the problem. I regret that we were not seated in his section.
The meals were finally ordered and our anticipation grew as we saw plates being delivered to our neighboring tables; the food looked very good! We were not in a rush to eat but felt like the wait was longer than expected. While waiting we had a brief discussion about the bread plates on the table which had been lacking any bread since we were seated. This being our first time here, we were not sure when the bread , if any, would be served. We were finally rewarded for our patience when the food arrived from the kitchen. As the plates were placed in front of us, I asked the waiter, somewhat humorously, what the smaller (bread?) plates on the table were for. Rather than admitting his screw-up in failing to serve the bread bowl, he stumbled with the explanation that the plates were for sharing our entrees if we so chose to do so. Really!
After being busted on the bread error, he made a quick exit from the table, and that was the last we saw of him before returning to see if we wanted anything else. Again, I said "sure"; how about the dessert menu? Not once did he check on us during the meal to see if "everything was tasting all right." We plodded through the dessert/coffee course and finally headed to the door. Unfortunately, the hostess who seated us had morphed into a server so there was no one at the door to say goodbye and to thank us for our business, etc.; obviously a staffing issue on what must have been an unexpectedly busy Sunday night.
OK, you get the point that the service was NOT GOOD! But what about the FOOD? The food was OUTSTANDING! I mean, really, really good. We each had something different and all raved about our choices (even without the bread!) We thoroughly enjoyed the food.
I called the restaurant the next day to give feedback to the owner and inquire about the bread; missing or not? (yes, missing!) The owner, Michael Mastricola, was perfect. He was receptive to my comments, made the appropriate apologies, and basically said all the right things. My only remaining question was, even after immediately admitting that he knew exactly who our server was, why is that guy still on the payroll? Mr Mastricola said that the appropriate action would be taken; additional training or whatever. Based on our initial visit and complete enjoyment of the food itself, we would certainly return and hopefully be attended to by the server who fixed the drink mistake.
Our dining experience is a combination of ambiance, service, and of course, the food. At La Petite Folie, on our visit, "two out of three ain't bad." It was too bad that the service detracted from the overall enjoyment of our dining experience, thus the title of my review. I'm sure our next visit, with the appropriate service, will kick up my rating to "excellent", and yes, I will go back.

3  Thank Gary R