“Good food, slow service”

Don Juan's Restaurante
Ranked #1,292 of 9,877 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Edison Park
Cross street: N Oshkosh Ave
Transit: CTA Bus: 68-Northwest Hwy. Metra Train: Union Pacific Northwest Line, Edison Park stop
Reviewed 18 September 2016 via mobile

Staff did not seem ready for customers, although they were open and we had a reservation. Our party of 6, was seated for quite a while before anyone came by to ask if we wanted drinks, and a lot longer before they took our order.

The food was good. Fajitas were small portions, but tasty. Guacamole was good. Overall, I'd probably go back, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Plenty of options in that neighborhood.

Reviewed 14 September 2016

I just wait every year for the venison fajitas. They are so delicious. The meat is tender and succulent. Their paella is very, very good. Around Thanksgiving they make these risotto filled pumpkins which are incredible. Their salsa is made from oven roasted veggies and is very unique. They have fantastic traditional Mexican but they are always changing their menu to reflect the seasons. Awesome neighborhood place. So glad we have DJ in our neighborhood.

Reviewed 28 July 2016

Went to Don Juan's and had the Goat Cheese stuffed Pablano pepper which was great. My wife had the Fish Tacos and loved them. Service was very good.

Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

I've driven and walked by this restaurant so many times and didn't think to stop in. Wow was I blown away!!!

The inside is enormous! And so cozy. I feel like I'm visiting a giant home of a distant relative. It's so cozy, clean, and beautiful. The wooden ceilings are comforting.

The server was very polite and kind. I enjoyed that he was attentive, quick, but not pushy.

The margaritas are wonderful. My boyfriend loves the classic Don Juan. It's good with the salt, and doesn't taste very strong at all. It would be easy to down a lot of those. He said he thought the strawberry one was too sweet. I loved the mango one. Tasted like a smoothie with a kick!

The corn appetizer. Get it. It's magnificent. One piece is good to split between two people (so long as you don't care about sharing one ear of corn!! but if you're not getting entrées then maybe one per person.

The queso fundito is also exceptional.

The banana split with Carmelites bananas are beautiful and tasty.

Every plate came out beautiful.

Loved the cozy atmosphere. Love that there's a bar option if you're up for some drinks. And love that they have an outdoor section too. Definitely coming back.

Reviewed 31 May 2016

For the price you pay, the margaritas are very small. No complaints on the food. It was decent, but nothing to write home about. The guacamole was delicious though -very flavorful. It also wasn't very busy - I felt awkward being one of the only tables in the restaurant for a Friday night.

Been to Don Juan's Restaurante? Share your experiences!