“Attentive and Special”

Francesca's On Taylor
Reserve with OpenTable
Francesca's On Taylor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #429 of 10,804 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: University Village / Little Italy
Cross street: Loomis
Transit: Blue Line Harrison/Racine stop
Description: Francesca's on Taylor features the zesty, earthy cuisine of Rome and the surrounding areas of Tuscany, Umbria and Lazio. Chicago Magazine notes, "It brings a new kind of abbondanza to an old Italian neighborhood." It is the fourth restaurant opened by Chef Scott Harris, whose philosophy is to encourage the lively art of dining with a contemporary, casually sophisticated trattoria ambiance, good, rustic cooking, friendly service and fair prices. Anne Spiselman of Crain's Chicago Business observes: "A rolled-mesh ceiling, warm woods and geometric light fixtures give the room a rather clubby look, brightened during the day by light coming through the windows facing the street. And, Francesca's on Taylor takes reservations. "No, it does more; it honors reservations. Twice I made reservations, twice I walked into a packed dining room, and twice I was seated within 10 minutes," notes respected Chicago Tribune food critic Phil Vettel who claims this to be his favorite Francesca restaurant.
Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

Felipe was our waiter and if you engage him he will engage you. Ask him a little about the history. He is a great guide through the menu and specials. Tuesday's are 1/2 price wine. Also we reserved through Open Table and noted it was a celebration. The manager came over to check in and they brought a special dessert for us to celebrate our daughter's college graduation. It was on the house. Worth the Uber ride and enjoyed walking around the historic neighborhood. The food was great as was the pacing. We particularly enjoyed the burratta and the tortellini alla vodka. Buon Appetito.

Reviewed 30 May 2017

I've been to their other location on Bryn Mawr Ave. This location was closed on the day I wanted to go due to a wedding, so we went to the Taylor street location for the first time. I was very disappointed. Bad service and bad drinks. Day and night compared to the Bryn Mawr location. I will not be returning.

Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

Have had good meals at other Francesca restaurants, but this was a true disappointment. Menu not particularly interesting--we were hoping for grilled seafood or pastas with sauces that were not tomato-based. My husband had mussels and an arugula salad--he salad was so tart that it was inedible, and the mussels were not fresh--and the sauce uninspired. I had the misto salad, which was fine, although served with a gloppy raspberry vinaigrette. The special pasta was an uninteresting farfalle with starchy peas, mushrooms, diced tomatoes and in underseasoned cream sauce. Add lackadaisical service and an uninteresting wine list, and we were really not happy. To their credit, they took the mussels and inedible salad off the bill when my husband complained. Too little too late. Won't be back.

Reviewed 13 May 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed a delicious meal with family this evening. Sergio provided our first rate service! Beginning with the warm and crusty bread, through Caesar salad and terrific pasta dishes. Unfortunately we were just to full to add dessert. Will definitely be back and will send others. Thank you

Reviewed 11 May 2017

It's been a long time since I have been at Francesca's on Taylor. To be fair, my last experience went poorly, so when someone suggested that we try Francesca's on Taylor, I came along. Francesca's on Taylor is located right in the heart of the Little Italy at Taylor St. and Loomis St. We ordered two entrees. The first was the ravioli con ricotta with a light tomato basil sauce, wilted spinach and topped with fresh mozzarella. The second was the pollo al limone which was sauteed chicken breast with a lemon white wine sauce, capers and sauteed spinach. Both tasted very good. The service was very good, as the staff was very efficient. As much as I wanted to try the profiteroles al pistacchio, we had no room left.