“Happy to Return”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Huron
Reviewed 14 October 2017

Now that my absolute favorite is permanently closed, this appears to be the only authentic (and not fusion or just sushi) Japanese restaurant in town. It has the feeling of comfort food and comfort-style. The service is slow, since they seem overwhelmed usually. Guests need to have patience. We were the only non-Asians in the whole place for quite awhile and it was packed. Most were Japanese, but I also saw some Koreans and Chinese. They have many of my favorites, so that is nice. Not everything is perfect, but still good generally. It is quite an extensive menu, too. My favorites are the specials, so on this visit to Chicago I went several times to try to have all of the specials. The sake seems somewhat over priced at $16 for a small glass, but at least it doesn't seem old as in some other establishments. The uni ($9 each piece) this visit was some of the best I ever had. In fact all of the sushi I had was good. The beef tataki could be a whole meal itself. It's hard to go try other places, when I know how satisfying this one is.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

I went here solo on Wed night. They seated me at the sushi bar where I was lucky enough to speak with someone next to me that was raised in Japan. Based on her comments and my experience from my Japanese mom, this was authentic Japanese cuisine...simple, fresh and delicious. The prices are much better than the Asian fusion places, which I also love, but I would choose this place over the fancy, expensive places whenever I want reasonably priced comfort food.

1  Thank Alan L
Reviewed 19 July 2017

This small (apparently family owned) sushi restaurant is lovely and the people seem genuinely nice. However, there is limited seating and limited staffing. First we were greeted by a waiter who seemed out of place greeting guests. We had to wait for a table while several tables needed to be cleaned.

Once seated it took some time to order drinks and when they arrived it was clear that there is no professional or even experienced bartender. While the drinks were strong (good for patrons) they were not mixed proportionately.

We finally ordered and the Asian woman who served may have been the owner but it was clear they were struggling to complete even basic tasks. We were there on a Thursday night and it was not very crowded but this place has limited seating so it appeared busy.

The food itself was quite good and the portions were perfect. However, the entire experience lacked the basic service standards one would expect in Chicago.

Lovely place and nice people but they need help on the service side.

Reviewed 17 January 2017

When I visit Chicago downtown, I enjoy coming here for an authentic Japanese dinner, prepared and served by Japanese staff.
Sushi, sashimi are excellent. Last time I tried chirashi-sushi. Sushi rice was prepared just right. I trust other items on their menu are also excellent.

Reviewed 29 June 2016 via mobile

Freshly prepared and very authentic local, non tourist sushi and Japanese in the Second City. Look for the side menu of even more authentic cuisine though everything we had was well made, unusual, and quite tasty.

1  Thank Lance H