“Legit Japanese Food, simple and delicious”
Review of Cocoro Restaurant

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Huron
Reviewed 14 September 2017

I went here solo on Wed night. They seated me at the sushi bar where I was lucky enough to speak with someone next to me that was raised in Japan. Based on her comments and my experience from my Japanese mom, this was authentic Japanese cuisine...simple, fresh and delicious. The prices are much better than the Asian fusion places, which I also love, but I would choose this place over the fancy, expensive places whenever I want reasonably priced comfort food.

1  Thank Alan L

Reviewed 19 July 2017

This small (apparently family owned) sushi restaurant is lovely and the people seem genuinely nice. However, there is limited seating and limited staffing. First we were greeted by a waiter who seemed out of place greeting guests. We had to wait for a table while several tables needed to be cleaned.

Once seated it took some time to order drinks and when they arrived it was clear that there is no professional or even experienced bartender. While the drinks were strong (good for patrons) they were not mixed proportionately.

We finally ordered and the Asian woman who served may have been the owner but it was clear they were struggling to complete even basic tasks. We were there on a Thursday night and it was not very crowded but this place has limited seating so it appeared busy.

The food itself was quite good and the portions were perfect. However, the entire experience lacked the basic service standards one would expect in Chicago.

Lovely place and nice people but they need help on the service side.

Reviewed 17 January 2017

When I visit Chicago downtown, I enjoy coming here for an authentic Japanese dinner, prepared and served by Japanese staff.
Sushi, sashimi are excellent. Last time I tried chirashi-sushi. Sushi rice was prepared just right. I trust other items on their menu are also excellent.

Reviewed 29 June 2016 via mobile

Freshly prepared and very authentic local, non tourist sushi and Japanese in the Second City. Look for the side menu of even more authentic cuisine though everything we had was well made, unusual, and quite tasty.

1  Thank Lance H
Reviewed 9 June 2016

We lived in Japan for a few years, acquiring a taste for authentic Japanese food. Finding anything other than sushi can be challenging. We stumbled across Cocoro and have been back several times whenever we are in the city. Friendly service, great food.